This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems with setting project resolution

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jornmo
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

I am going to make a movie for advertisement that has the resolution of 204x614.
In the profiles settings I made a new profile, and set the:

Size: 204x614
Framerate: 30/1
Pixel aspect ratio: 3/9
Display aspect ratio: 3/9

Then when I add a png clip that has the same resolution (204x614) and drop it in the time line, It appears as a small square reaching to both edges left and right, but with big black bars on top and bottom... what am I doing wrong? Should it not fill the project screen? If I drop a "Crop, Scale and Position" effect on it and scale it on the y axis it looks normal, but this seems not the right way to do it...
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
With Display ratio = 1/3 and resolution ratio = 1/3, pixel aspect ratio should then be 1/1. Not sure it is the cause of your problem?
jornmo
Registered Member
OS
I just figured that out too. I looked at Pitivi and it calculated the display aspect ratio to 102/307. So I copied that, and set pixel aspect ratio to 0/0 and it worked :)
What is the use of display aspect ratio when one is already setting the resolution? And what is the purpose of pixel aspect ratio?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Entering 0 in fractions is risky, you may face bugs if software don't handle this exception properly :<

But is your image stretch problem fixed?

Resolution ratio can be different from Display ratio, eg for widescreen DVD where stream is still 4/3 (768/576) but image is stretched to 16/9 => Pixel ratio is 4/3, they are not square any more...
That's true that 2 settings should be sufficient, DAR and PAR should be redundant (but maybe I'm wrong?)
jornmo
Registered Member
OS
Oh, OK! I set it to 1/1 then, but I am not really sure what the setting is for... the images and the clips now fills the project monitor very nicely. So thanks a lot for helping with that :) Thanks for explaining the difference of resolution and ratio!