This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dark theme interface?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jwegier
Registered Member

Dark theme interface?

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:16 am
​Hi,

I am a Linux newbie (several days only) I installed Mint Qiana Cinnamon and ​and today I have installed Kdenlive. Video editing is not my profession but I edit quite a lot for my personal use ( trip movies, family stuff, small movies for my work and more)

On Windows 7 I use Adobe Premiere but since I installed Mint several days ago I find myself using Mint 90% of my time and I would like to stay in Mint to edit videos with Kdenlive and not to logout and then login to Win 7 just to edit on Premiere

My problem with Kdenlive is the color of the interface: it is too bright and is very distracting at least for me. I am used to work with the dark interface of Premiere which help to concentrate on what I am editing. This is not a deal breaker but I would like a dark interface for my video editor.

In Kdenlive under "Settings" there is a "Themes" option but there is only one theme available , the default theme. I have seen many screenshots of Kednlive with a dark theme. Do you know how it is possible to install such dark theme for Kdenlive in Mint?

I am not only a Linux/Mint and Kdenlive newbie but also not tech-savvy at all so please use simple step by step explanations.

Thanks
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Re: Dark theme interface?

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:21 am
The themes that Kdenlive uses is governed by your desktop installation options. If you're using the KDE desktop go to SystemSettings->ApplicationAppearance->Colors and take a look at the installed 'Schemes'. There's a button to 'Get New Schemes' from the internet. There's a similar feature in Gnome if you happen to be using that.
jwegier
Registered Member

Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:19 am
Hi Steve,

I am using Mint Qiana Cinnamon which not KDE desktotp

Thanks
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:25 pm
jwegier wrote:Hi Steve,

I am using Mint Qiana Cinnamon which not KDE desktotp

Thanks

In that case you'll have to explore Cinnamon's desktop theme/color options. Kdenlive will still rely upon the desktop manager for thematic support - even for Mint Cinnamon.
jwegier
Registered Member

Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 pm
Thank you very much for helping
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:07 am
i also found that when I installed Krita (nice KDE painting/illustration application) on my ubuntu setup it came with various colour themes installed, and then in Kdenlive I had the option under Settings>Themes to choose the grey 'Krita-blender' theme which, although not super beautiful, is a big improvement on the standard white theme.

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything