This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

sony a7s - color modes - color grading

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kalimerox
Registered Member
hi there,
I want to work on a new film project with the sony a7s to do some low light video. Does any of you already have experience with color correction with that camera? What i found in forums is to shoot in slog2 mode gives the most dynamic range but should get color graded afterwards. Like i do everything in kdenlive till now i dont want to start using color grading suites like resolve or magic bullet but wanna stay open source. any videos / tricks / etc you guys can recommend me? Thanks! :)
drnn1076
Registered Member
OS
HI,

I colour graded some shots of the BMPCC; it is not the same but it could help.
I used three bezier curves to do all primary contrast, luma and colour and then saturation to boost colours.

viewtopic.php?f=266&t=120736

http://vimeo.com/92498501

cheers

kalimerox
Registered Member
Thanks for your comment and vid, nice! changing contrast with the bezier curves, is that the RGB curve? Is there any difference between the bezier curves and the "curves" in the color correction sub menu? I see the bezier curves i can change more accurately... In which order would you apply the effects for a proper grading, like e.g. luma -->contrast-->saturation ? thanks :)
ttguy
OS
They are both interfaces to the same frie0r filter https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... ion/Curves
kalimerox
Registered Member
thanks ttguy, thats what i wanted to know!

Is there an order you stick to in applying filters? I m coming from a sound background and applying sound plugins etc. i usually have a specific chaining for a workflow, for example eq->limiter-compressor-reverb..... thanks!
drnn1076
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I use beziers curves in the following order:

luma --> 2 colours (one red-green and one blue-yellow).
The key curve is luma. I use the histogram to check the results. In the BMPCC, it goes from a compressed to a wide spread histogram, boosting primary contrasts. Then I apply the 2 colours curves.

Finally, I use saturation to boost colours and occasionally I add a denoiser.

This is the basic grading schema I use.

ttguy
OS
drnn1076 wrote:Hi,

I use beziers curves in the following order:

luma --> 2 colours (one red-green and one blue-yellow).
The key curve is luma. I use the histogram to check the results. In the BMPCC, it goes from a compressed to a wide spread histogram, boosting primary contrasts. Then I apply the 2 colours curves.

Finally, I use saturation to boost colours and occasionally I add a denoiser.

This is the basic grading schema I use.

It sounds like you really know how to make use of these bits of kdenlive. You should make a video tutorial or write up a page for the manual on colour grading. :)
drnn1076
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
yes, that's something I would love to do. My problem right now is time; I'm really busy at the moment.

The material produced by Dive-O for the GoPro is really good. It's not the same camera but his analysis and procedures are in essence the same as mine.

http://thediveo-e.blogspot.de/2013/10/g ... rline.html

Cheers

ttguy
OS
That DiveO material is nice. I have put some links in the manual to that blog post.
kalimerox
Registered Member
Thanks guys, really helped me a lot color grading my last videos, I ll post a link as soon as i got something online :)
kalimerox
Registered Member
There was another thought coming up: What is the difference between luma and rgb in the bezier curves plug in ? When I change the luma to darker values , I get a less colorful image(actually a very cool look, but almot black and white..) than when i do the same thing in RGB mode.

EDIT: my browser stopped working here, sorry, I wanted to continue:

when I do the same thing in EGB mode, I also can darken and lighten the image, but it stays more colorful (almost too colourful)

Last edited by kalimerox on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttguy
OS
I believe you are adjusting the luma property of the video
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luma_%28video%29
kalimerox
Registered Member
and thanks for the link, a lotttt to read ;( but i ll manage ;)