This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problems with capture from HV20, random disconnect

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lenko
Registered Member
Hi,

I am having random problems with capturing video via firewire from a Canon HV20. Kdenlive seems to randomly disconnect, there is no preview in the monitor window, the capture project does produce some video files, but it does generate hundreds of small files with absurd timestamps (e.g. 23 hours length etc), but there is only one long recording on that tape. Something seems to be seriously broken with the capture module. Is this already known? Otherwise I can open a bug.

Have nice day.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Kdenlive used to rely on dvgrab then libdv module in MLT for this kind of job.
However libdv is being deprecated in MLT in favor of functions embedded in FFmpeg/LibAV to decode the stream, but maybe cam control is not well handled.
As DV is becoming quite old, few people are still using this kind of devices, so it might be broken.
Can you work around this with dvgrab commands?
Else you should install an old Kdenlive+MLT+LibAV stack, probably a whole distro in a partition or in a chroot...
lenko
Registered Member
I just tested with dvgrab in the shell, I was able to grab a whole tape without any problems, so this problem seems to be in Kdenlive, firewire connection and dvgrab works ok.
ttguy
OS
Kdenlive 0.9.10 works for me to capture DV format via firewire from my old camera.
lenko
Registered Member
It does not work for me, however it is great that it works for you :)