This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't upgrade in Mint 17.1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
christopherwere
Registered Member

Can't upgrade in Mint 17.1

Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:36 pm
Hi, I have the sunab Kdenlive PPA added, however no matter what I try, my distro (Mint 17.1) refuses to recognise any version of Kdenlive higher than 0.9.8 on KDE DP 4.14.2. It claims all my software packages are up-to-date.

Now I understand most Kdenlive devs have given up on Kdenlive pre qt5 which sucks for anyone using a LTS version of Ubuntu or Mint. Because now it means I'm stuck with a number of the well known bugs/problems until 2016, but if there anyone regardless who can help? I use Kdenlive for work and I'm, kinda stranded in Linux dessert without a working Kdenlive.

FYI I've tried daily builds but none of them seem to want to launch. I also don't want people to suggest I use daily build when I'm trying to get the PPA working please.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member

Re: Can't upgrade in Mint 17.1

Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:33 pm
Probably not what you want to hear but daily builds under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS is your best bet. Maybe you can rig up a vBox for that....
christopherwere
Registered Member

Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:49 pm
I've already got my windows movie editor running in a VM so I don't need Kdenlive in that particular scenario. I just would like it to update the way it's supposed to. Although if these forums are anything to go by, that sounds like exchanging one set of bugs for another.

I haven't ruled out moving to a new version of Ubuntu (15.04 when it comes out) but I always see that as something I shouldn't really have to do.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:29 pm
Arg my previous writing seems to have vanished... Kdenlive isn't the only one with bugs :-\

Strange that all PPA & builds solutions are failing... then you should try the build script!

Else, lighter than a VM is the chroot/schroot/LXC/Docker solutions, I've shortly described one on our wiki (end of section).

Again, I can make a KDE4 release with few commits after 0.9.10, but you would have to make a PPA/build/script work just the same as for git version...
Doomkeks
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:12 am
I'm running Bodhi Linux (which is based upon Ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and to get it updated I uninstalled Kdenlive completely before adding the ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release repository and fetching it again. It came in version 0.9.10 with the repository.
(No idea if that helps, I'm a bloody Linux beginner)

Also Windows Movie Maker is not so great in my opinion. You can only use it for really basic stuff. Everything I tried to do with it brought it to the limits quite quick.
It seems to be the equivalent to MS Paint but for video production.
christopherwere
Registered Member

Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:36 pm
I'm afraid I'm not really comfortable enough with compiling from source to consider try that.
So I'm judging from all the other comments, I basically have to change distros or live with 0.9.8. That's not very good.
christopherwere
Registered Member

Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:17 pm
I've asked for some help on the Mint IRC channel and it's become apparent there's something off with the PPA. I've record me trying to manually upgrade to 0.9.10 (with a console). Maybe someone more knowledgeable offer an insight https://youtu.be/ctmr2_pS1sA
christopherwere
Registered Member

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:38 pm
After trying again to force upgrade it appears there's a dependency error.

Code: Select all
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to correct dependencies
E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
E: Unable to lock the download directory.