This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

should i update

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
farid
Registered Member
OS

should i update

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:00 pm
hey guys

i am in the middle of an edit and already kdenlive is is archlinux's testing repo. should i update or should i wait to finish the project before installing the new version... could the port to qt5/kf5 create some unknown bugs?

cherrs and congrats for the new release!

vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Re: should i update

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:21 pm
It's always risky to change a working system while working... and even more in this case as the chages are not minimal!

The switch to Qt5 has been done in an important part by scripts, which introduce changes everywhere that we can't review one by one...

We tried to test it ourselves, but neither JB nor me had serious movie projects since that time, so it was not very intensive. And there are features that we don't generally use that other people may rely upon.

Unfortunately due to the need for KF5, many of the usual testers couldn't go on with this release, so we had almost no feedback.

That would be very good to have bug reports quickly to fix as much as possible for next month release (15.04.1), but until then you may have a not very reliable video editor. So best is maybe to keep a solid Qt4 install and build the Qt5 version on the side (build script / daily builds / ...)
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:23 pm
Oh and in case of crash, please try to get a backtrace (installing debug symbols and/or running gdb)
funpro
Registered Member

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:56 pm
I just updated. It seems the configuration was reset. Lost profiles and custom shortcut keys...
farid
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 07, 2015 7:10 pm
ended up updating after a full system upgrade so had to stick with the latest version. so far it has been horribly buggy. i have already been able to report 4 bugs so far (and many more to come, but haven't seen any response from the bug tracker.)

so far it has been a regression in terms of stability and functionality. hope it gets to atleast where it was before...

any news on the next release, etc...?

cheers!