This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

When will Kdenlive's rendering issues be resolved?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
christopherwere
Registered Member
Will kdenlive bring back multi-threading and possible devolop support for GPU encoding? Also, was there a reason multi-threading was removed, was it buggy or something?

It takes me ages to encode a video when it never used to.

Thanks everyone.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
Threading and GPU support was deprecated and delayed in order to allow for a focus on the KF5 integration.

Making the KF5 release, which JB and Vincent were able to accomplish, is going to be crucial to allowing Kdenlive to grow as an application and community. Through its inclusion in KDE, Kdenlive will now be a candidate for GSOC. We have already seen several coders express interest or commit to working on Kdenlive this summer.

As the community grows, we will obviously benefit from an increase in available intellectual talent. Furthermore, we will be in a position I think by the end of the summer to have a funding campaign in order to add high-value features like M/T and GPU support.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
GPU filters (movit) are now back in git development branch (frameworks) and working more reliably than in 2013 implementation. But GPU encoding is still not enabled in MLT, and even not for all brands in FFmpeg (Nvidia VDPAU only).
Multithreading option was hidden in 0.9.8 due to bugs... with movit! In slipped into release while improting a big batch of fixes into the main branch. You can work around this by generating render scripts and changing "real_time" value to -2 for example.
But the problem might be elsewhere: in 0.9.8 I also simplified the render profiles to use MLT presets (to avoid duplicating this work on our side), but it appears that MLT people are more oriented towards high compression rates than speed! Maybe try to remove the preset=... setting to fall back on FFmpeg defaults which are usually more relaxed for the encoder (for MPEG2 I saw almost a factor of 2!). you can also look for old 0.9.6 presets...
I someone ,maybe you, could have a serious look at these ending settings (reference : melt doc), we would welcome the contribution to update the defaults! And before putting this in a release, you can now again share your presets on KDE "GetHotNewStuff" network, or tell about it here...
christopherwere
Registered Member
That does look like there are a lot of positive things on the horizon for Kdenlive. I'll have to remember to chuck the indie gogo campaign some money once it gets started. Linux needs a good video editor and Kdenlive is its best bet by far. I understand that a lot of he limitations are the result of MLT.
pedrorodriguez
Registered Member
OS
+1000 for multi threading and GPU encoding support. I would totally back this feature in a crowd funding campaign. Kdenlive is already more than enough for my needs, and with the inclusion in KDE and the transition to qt5/frameworks it's only going to get better. But even though I have a very powerful machine, it takes a very long time to render 1080p videos.