This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

openGL requirements for new version 15.04

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
adving
Registered Member
Hello,

I would like to know the openGL requirements for the new kdenlive version 15.04

in the previous version 0.9.10 the video and audio can playback fine and frame by frame scrubbing also works for audio when I enable "use openGL for video playback (restart Kdenlive to apply)" This works good in the intel G31 chipset onboard graphics with openGL 1.4

I am wondering if the G31 motherboard with onboard graphics openGL 1.4 will work ok with the new 15.04 Kdenlive version for video and audio playback and scrubbing... or if I will need to upgrade to a discrete GPU with openGL 2.0 or higher...

Nvidia 8400GS, GT610, GT210, GT240 and GT430 are the cheapest options I found

Thanks
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
Your question really applies more towards MLT than Kdenlive per-se. Kdenlive rides on top of MLT's rendering and display services.

That said, I suspect that openGL requirements is somewhat squishy given the variations of O/S, hardware, GPU's etc. I think whatever works for you will probably be one of many viable spec's.

Please forge on ahead and report back to your thread if you have a working installation. Others should feel welcome to add to this thread as a means of building an online reference.
adving
Registered Member
in AVLinux distro (32 bits) the Kdenlive 0.9.10 is working ok with openGL 1.4 from the intel onboard graphics G31 chipset. But I do not know if AVLinux distro have proper drivers to enable the openGL 1.4 in the intel G31 chipset, but it is working ok, more hungry about processor power, but works. I do not know if this need of more processor power when using openGL is due to lack of correct drivers or not...

if Kdenlive 15.04 is based on same MLT and other things same as ShotCut video editor, then openGL 2.0 will be needed for video playback and openGL 3.2 will be needed for real time GPU effects. So the best options will be the GT240 and GT430 because they are cheap and have more cuda cores than GT610. In NVidia website there is the openGL version in GPU specifications.

Edit post: I installed the nvidia proprietary graphics driver and the openGL playback keep using the same amount of processor power, the video driver does not lower the processor usage when openGL video playback is enabled. Also the video driver does not make the audio scrubbing to work without openGL playback. So no improvements. Better use a quad core or enable openGL playback for audio scrubbing and disable it for color correction / video effects preview when using a low end machine. This test was done in AVLinux 32bit distro with Kdenlive 0.9.10

Interesting thing: even in the quad core machine, the openGL video playback enabled makes the dissolve between two clips sttuter. The processor usage is around 41% in the first clip, when dissolve starts the processor usage decreases and the preview sttuter. With openGL disabled it does not sttuter, the preview is realtime and the processor usage increases in the dissolve moment as expected to be, in first clip it is around 15% and in the dissolve moment it is around 41%. This test was done with the nvidia video driver instaled. It seems that the openGL video playback only works good if the software is optimized for it, including the timeline single clip code, the effects code, the transitions code.