This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

"Save as" dialog only works when run as root

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
andreyneshta
Registered Member
OS
Trying to use develop version in 15.04. Main problem - "Save as" dialog only works when run as root (and even "Save"). "Save" window just opening, but not responding to any actions. In 14.10 all worked fine, updated to 15.04 and got this problem. I need "dev" version because I need a normal working "Stabilize" feature.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

---Andrey
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
Run Kdenlive from the command line and see if it spits out anything useful.
andreyneshta
Registered Member
OS
Sorry for delay. Some things are changed since my last message: now I'm using "Stable" 15.04.0 version from Kubuntu-backports PPA, and the problem still the same.
So, the terminal shows not so much:

$ kdenlive
kf5.kiconthemes: "Theme tree: (Breeze)"
kf5.kxmlgui: Registering action "edit_select_all" under new name "select_all_tracks"
Removing cache at "/home/manager/.cache/kdenlive-thumbs.kcache"

Next, when I open "Save as..." dialog, it shows:

kf5.kservice.sycoca: Trying to open ksycoca from "/home/manager/.cache/ksycoca5"
We got some errors while running testparm "Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
Ignoring unknown parameter "display charset"
Loaded services file OK.
"
We got some errors while running 'net usershare info'
"Ignoring unknown parameter "display charset"
"

And from this moment it is impossible to do anything with Kdenlive except moving and resizing "Save as..." window, even to close the application. Only "kill -9" helps (or Shift+Del in ksysguard) or closing the terminal.
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
Maybe you have something weird in your user account. Try creating a new user and then run Kdenlive as that user.

And...describe your environment a little more - anything special about your user account setup? SMB drives, other mount points etc etc?
andreyneshta
Registered Member
OS
I've commented the bad line in my smb.conf, and now terminal shows another things. And by my luck I found this bug in bugs.kde.org - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=346413 - exactly like mine.
The explanation tells me nothing, I don't understand what does it mean. But it would be nice if you tell me what I need to do now - just wait for some updates or I can do something by myself.

Many thanks!
Steve Guilford
Registered Member
The bug report indicates that JB fixed the issue two weeks ago. Have you tried building from the latest development release? Is your OS fully up-to-date?
andreyneshta
Registered Member
OS
Development version (built using "./build-kdenlive.sh" script) works fine. At least "Save as..." works as expected, I have no time right now to test deeper. Maybe maintainers still didn't upload the fix to PPA?
andreyneshta
Registered Member
OS
Fixed in 15.04.1.

Thanks everyone for help!