This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive - avchd

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kratochvil
Registered Member

Kdenlive - avchd

Wed May 06, 2015 7:50 am
Hi,
why Kdenlive doesnt support AVCHD ? And when it will ?
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kdenlive - avchd

Wed May 06, 2015 2:34 pm
Which kind of support are you missing? AVCHD (as from Sony CX730) works perfectly fine. Could you be more precise what kind of material you have (ffprobe <avchd-file>), what you try, what you expect and what happens at the end?
kratochvil
Registered Member

Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 pm
I can open in Kdenlive MTS files from my Panasonic camera, but the movement in the movie is very difficult and it makes editing troublesome.
My computer is HP ProBook 2520, core i5, 4GB RAM and Ubuntu Mate 15.04 64bit.
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Thu May 07, 2015 2:24 pm
Ah... Yes... Seeking is difficult in AVCHD. You should enable proxy clips in your project settings. Then kdenlive will create a low res clone of your clips for editing. If you render, the original HD clips will be used. See: https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... roxy_Clips
kratochvil
Registered Member

Mon May 11, 2015 9:16 am
OK.
Thank you for your answer.
dodinj
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 20, 2015 6:40 pm
Hello,

New high bit rate videos are very difficult to read. Even with 8Gb ram like I have, avchd files are hard to read. They do not even read in video reader (not speaking to kdenlive) with the expected fluidity.

This do not prevent editing them. It's a bit more difficult, but I do it all the day :-)

using proxy clip is only possible if you have much time to wait for proxies being done... I don't

jdd
christopherwere
Registered Member

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:54 am
In my experience, Ubuntu support for AVCHD files is embarrassingly bad. To be honest I'm having a great deal of trouble even converting them to a workable format.

With Xubuntu 15.04 an encoded MTS file looks like this: http://youtu.be/l6HcKNbrW_I

People here have suggested I switch distros but that's a big step to try and solve just one problem.
ttguy
OS

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:01 pm
I am sceptical that a distro change would change this at all.

I believe that support for this format comes from the libavcodec-extra-52 package. And you will probably get a very similar version of this no matter what distro you install.