This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

syncing sound between two cams

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dodinj
Registered Member
OS

syncing sound between two cams

Thu May 21, 2015 10:43 am
Hello,

I just add this entry to give some details about sound sync. I have to do this quite often and it's pretty tedious to to manually, but I never could make the kdenlive function work before reading this page:

https://kdenlive.org/forum/where-audio-alignment-found

I summarize what I do most:

I shot gigs of local bands. I have two camcorders, one for large scope, the other for close ups and one audio recorder I use to get the sound from the audio mixer when possible. So two video/audio tracks and one audio.

To make kdenlive work with this, you have to import all the tracks and sync them approximately. It's very important to sync them as well as possible before asking kdenlive to fine tune it.

Then select the main audio track. If you don't have one (no mixer access, for example), you have to split audio from the best camcorder to be able to set it as reference. You probably also have to ungroup the video and audio of the same clips (was necessary for me just now). Then you have to select all the audio clips using Ctrl right clic. It's not obvious because it do not show very well on screen, but it works. Then align to audio...

When the sync is done it's good for all the shot, as long as you never stop the camcorder, witch is easy with a real camcorder but not with photo cameras :-). However, no two camcorder will have the exact same clock, so a shift is possible and kdenlive correct is very easily.

It's so good that you can even let the two tracks play together, but do not keep it on final, it adds the defects of the two tracks :-(.

Verify the result looking at the image of closeup while listening to the other sound track :-).

Obvious when you know it :-))
jdd
ttguy
OS
dodinj
Registered Member
OS
Hello :-)

I open again this topic because I work right now on a two cam shot and things are not going that well. Being songs, I guess the sync utility is disturbed by the fact part of the song come at regular time, so the sync is not done right in my immediate case.

So I would like to ask for some enhancements. If there is a better place to write this, please give me a link.

1) anyway it's always necessary to sort of sync the two tracks before using the kde command, could it be possible to select only a small part of each track (the relevant part)? That could make the sync work much easier and fast. May be simply start at cursor and for a limited length of time.

2) for the preliminary manual sync, one have to look at the wave form. Right now the vertical zoom feature of the timeline is not large enough to see well the audio track when it's combined with the video, it's necessary to split the audio to see it well. But then it's no more possible to sync, it's necessary to ungroup video/audio to do so. Why, given you can sync if you don't split? You are much at risk to lose the video/audio sync then...

just noticed it's possible to have a higher timeline in kdenlive config :-)

thanks
jdd

Kdenlive
Version 0.9.10
Utilisation de la plate-forme de développement de KDE 4.14.9