This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

White backgrounds: advice

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hipogrito
Registered Member

White backgrounds: advice

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:15 pm
Hi,

I've made a few videos using kdenlive with dark backgrounds without many problems. But when I go to white backgrounds I'm having few issues and I need some advice.

The type of videos I do are like slideshows.

Track 1: clip with the background and maybe some image somewhere in a corner.
Track 2: multiple clips with text or images that come and go.

With dark backgrounds, I put all the clips as "addition" and everything merges very well. But with a white background I'm having problems:

- If I use "addition" in Track 1 clip, I see only Track 1. No matter how I set Track 2 clips.
- If I use "alphaxor", if track2 clip is a text with transparency it works. But if it has an image, I get a big black box.
- With different alphaxxxxx settings I get a variety of color artifacts.

So, how do you recommend me to do this?

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
hipogrito
Registered Member

Re: White backgrounds: advice

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:21 pm
Hi,

I'm going to answer myself but I'd still want to hear from the experts here if this is the right solution...

- Put the background in Track 2, not in Track 1.
- Put the text and image in Track 1.

Use Affine in both cases.... and that seems to work... is that the best solution?

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
ttguy
OS

Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:21 am
I kinda think Kdenlive is not the best tool for slide shows. I reckon Libre Office Impress is better. Because that is exactly what it is designed for.

I thought you could export your slide show as a movie from Libre Office Impress. I think you could in the past. But I can't see that option now.

So maybe this is bad advice. :-\
hipogrito
Registered Member

Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:49 pm
Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look.

Meanwhile I'll keep with kdenlive but it's a little struggle to find out the right settings of each clip (3 video tracks)... but, working so far. I find crashes when doing certain operations but it's a matter of skipping those (I'm using Ubuntu 14.04).

In the past I used to use kdenlive main competitor for Linux, but way too many crashes took me away of it... I hope kdenlive team keeps fixing bugs and crashes because it's definitively a nice free tool. So, thanks for that!

Thanks,

Regards,
Hipo
ttguy
OS

Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:15 am
If you can reproducibly produce produce a crash and are running on version 15.04.X (which I guess you are not) then you should report it to https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicks ... id=1258904 otherwise they will not get fixed
hipogrito
Registered Member

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:08 pm
Hi,

Thanks! And yes, I wasn't running the latest... sorry about that.

If I find any bug, I'll file it in the proper place.

Thanks and thanks for the tool,

Regards,
Hipo
hipogrito
Registered Member

Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:38 pm
Hi,

BTW, after update kdenlive (via ppa), what I see when clicking in the About button is:

Kdenlive
Version 0.9.10
Using KDE Development Platform 4.13.3

I don't see any 15.04.X number in there... ?

Regards,
Hipo