This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Rendering + sound in 0.9.10 fills memory & swap, and crashes

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mjanssen
Registered Member
Hi,
Ubuntu 12.04. 8 GB of RAM, Intel i3 2.5 GHz.
I used to use an old version of Kdenlive, quite to my satisfaction. Except that a rendered Youtube MP4 did not play in a browser.
Therefore, I updated to 0.9.10. Now rendering eats my memory & swap, and then crashes. When audio is muted, it works.

I spent a lot of time looking through forums. I am quite a basic Linux/Ubuntu user, though...

Installation:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kdenlive

Message upon crash after render (File rendering/MP4):
Rendering of /home/merlijn/kdenlive/untitled.mp4 crashed
medium: [ ref=1, _mlt_properties_load=medium, __mlt_properties_load=medium ]
[mp4 muxer @ 0x7f65000c7340] [Eval @ 0x7f6507173450] Undefined constant or missing '(' in 'faststart' [mp4 muxer @ 0x7f65000c7340] Unable to parse option value "faststart"

I tried to reduce concurrent threads to 1. One post offered this as a potential solution.
I tried uninstalling MELT, and reinstall Kdenlive.

It seems the audio codec makes memory leak and the out of memory causes the crash.

Should I repair the audio codecs? How to do that?

Thanks,
Merlijn
ttguy
OS
Well if you use ppa:sunab/kdenlive-release as it stands now you will be attempting to install ver 15.04. And this version is not compatible with Ubuntu 12.04

If you want to install that version You need a version with kde frameworks 5 (KF5) - which you get on ubuntu 15.04.

But you could try https://launchpad.net/~sunab/+archive/u ... elease-old which has ver 0.9.10 - which should be compatible with ubuntu 12.04

https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Installation
mjanssen
Registered Member
Thank you for your response.

Over the past days, I have formatted and tried various combinations:
Ubuntu 14.04 + KDEnlive 9.10 --> Computer would not shut down.
Ubuntu 15.04 + KDEnlive 15 --> Computer would not shut down.
Ubuntu 12.04 + KDEnlive 8 --> Rendering not possible due to missing CODECS
Ubuntu 12.04 + KDEnlive 9.10 --> Used to work, now rendering halts at end, but does not finish. CPU usage 100%.

Aaargh.

I start to believe that perhaps my hardware is too old. (I replaced the MOBO due to lightning damage.) It is a frustrating experience.

Anyway, I appreciate your help.
ttguy
OS
From your description of how you installed kdenive you might not have installed everything you need.
You need frei0r and mlt as well as kdenlive.

Also - sunabs ppa were built against avconv libraries and not ffmpeg. Ubuntu comes with avconv out of the box so this should be OK unless you have replaced them with the ffmpeg alternative libraries.

I think you should try a "daily build" version. It will come with all the dependencies boxed off in a sandbox.
The daily builds are i think still ver 0.9.10 versions running on kde frameworks 4. So you should run them on 12.04 or 14.04

See https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... ily_builds
mjanssen
Registered Member
After reinstallation of Ubuntu 14.04 + KDEnlive 9.10, I could render a video + sound. Mem usage was normal, rendering finished, all codecs available.

Great. It is a pleasure to use KDEnlive again.

Thanks for your help.
Merlijn