This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive - Video freezing while editing

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
benoittouron
Registered Member
Hi,

I am using kdenlive for a while and I have a problem with the last stable version (15.4).
I put some clips in the timeline, and start editing my video. After some minutes (or seconds), the current clip is frozen in the monitor window (image blocked, no sound). Nevertheless, the cursor is moving normally in the timeline. When I switch to another clip, it's OK.
When I change the track of the blocked clip, it's ok for some minutes, and it gets blocked again. Once it is blocked in a track, it remains blocked (even if I switch to another clip and gets back to the blocked clip).

I am using kdenlive 15.4 on ubuntu 15.4 with unity.

Can anybody help me ?

Thanks in advance
Benoit
ttguy
OS
What type of source video are you using?
Do you have proxy clips turned on ?

https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... roxy_clips
benoittouron
Registered Member
Hi ttguy and thank you for your answer.
The clips are in AVCHD format (from a Sony camcorder).
The proxy clips are unchecked. I have the same bug with proxy clips checked or unchecked.

Thanks again anyway.

Ben
ttguy
OS
Well that is a high definition format. And you will have freezing issues using that format without proxies on. So I suggest you turn proxies on and make sure that the proxy jobs complete before deciding if turning them on fixes this issue or not. Your videos should have the little P on them in the project monitor once the proxies have been created.
benoittouron
Registered Member
Yes ! It helps. Once the clips are proxified, I cannot reproduce the problem.
Nevertheless, this is a regression, because I did not get this bug with previous versions of kdenlive (0.9.x), which I am using since 3 years now.
Maybe I should create an issue in the kdenlive bugtracker. I suspect a melt bug, rather kdenlive. The problem is easily reproducible, at least on my PC.

You just save me. Thanks a lot.
Ben
ttguy
OS
benoittouron wrote:Nevertheless, this is a regression, because I did not get this bug with previous versions of kdenlive (0.9.x), which I am using since 3 years now.
Maybe I should create an issue in the kdenlive bugtracker.
Ben

But can you be sure that you had proxies turned off on your 0.9.x versions ? You might have had them on and not noticed - because I think having them on might have been the default setting.
I doubt you are going to get any traction on this as a bug. Proxies have always been the solution to HD video and editing performance issues on Kdenlive. So no one is going to actually believe you if you tell them you could edit HD video on Kdenlive 0.9.x without proxies (except on an ultra high end machine).

If you could actually demonstrate that this is the case then fine. (Do still have 0.9.x installed ?) But like I say "can you be sure that you had proxies turned off on your 0.9.x versions ".

I suspect your bug would be closed with "resolved" "system behaves as expected". "turn on proxies"
benoittouron
Registered Member
Hi,

I am totally sure that I did not use the proxies before, and I did not have any problem.
My machine is a i7 with 8GB RAM and a SSD.

Since I have some other rendering bugs with the 15.4, I am downgrading to the 0.9.x version. I will let you know if I still have the problem with proxies off.

Thanks again
Ben