This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Newbie. OpenGl and the timeline.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edward.81
Registered Member

Newbie. OpenGl and the timeline.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:15 pm
First question. In the timeline is normal to have only the first frame as preview and all the rest of the track filled with a solid color. Is possible to fill the track with preview frames from the clip ?
I looked around on the manual and i have see the existence of the opengl option for the preview monitor. But on my system (arch linux with kde4, kdenlive 15.04.3-1, radeonsi mesa-git ) i don't have that checkbox. So i tried to compile the git version and now a new option appeared (enable gpu processing (movit library)) but is greyed out, so i have installed movit-git but that option is still unavailable. Now i guess that the first option cited on the manual is a thing (Use openGL for video display) and the movit is just for effect.
Btw I try to google for some explanation and some solution but without luck.
ttguy
OS
edward.81 wrote:Is possible to fill the track with preview frames from the clip ?

I don't think it is. The only option I know about is to turn thumbnails on or off on the clips - done via Project>Project Settings.
ttguy
OS
edward.81 wrote: Now i guess that the first option cited on the manual is a thing (Use openGL for video display) and the movit is just for effect.
Btw I try to google for some explanation and some solution but without luck.

Yep. That pretty much describes it. The movit option came in and then out again when it was discovered that it did not work for many people. So that is an option that is kinda there for future use when the whole GPL thing is sorted out.

The openGL for video display is turned on via Configure Kdenive>Playback
And I believe it effects the playback in the monitors only.
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... e#Playback

<br> Image
edward.81
Registered Member
Thanks for the answer, this clarify the movit thing.
Any idea why I'm missing the openGl option?
This screen is from the stable (?) kdenlive from arch repo 15.04.3-1
ttguy
OS
edward.81 wrote:Any idea why I'm missing the openGl option?

No idea. Sorry. My screen shot is from a 0.9.x version.

vpinion might know if this option was deliberately removed on ver 15.04 .

Maybe is is on by default now.

If you drag the playback cursor on the time line does audio play in the speakers ? ie do you have "audio scrubbing"?
edward.81
Registered Member
ttguy wrote:If you drag the playback cursor on the time line does audio play in the speakers ? ie do you have "audio scrubbing"?

No.
ttguy
OS

Re: Newbie. OpenGl and the timeline.

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:01 am
edward.81 wrote:
ttguy wrote:If you drag the playback cursor on the time line does audio play in the speakers ? ie do you have "audio scrubbing"?

No.

Right - then you probably do not have the openGl option on by default then. Because turning that option on in the 0.9.x versions turns on audio scrubbing.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
While porting to Qt5 we switched to OpenGL display as only option.
This has no link with timeline thumbnails. If you zoom timeline to max level, you should see all your frames filling the clip items.
When you unzoom for normal view, you should see only start & end frames, plus maybe some key frames?
ttguy
OS
vpinon wrote:Hello,
While porting to Qt5 we switched to OpenGL display as only option.

So do you get audio scrubbing? Because edward.81 reports no audio scrubbing.