This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Experience kdenlive 15.08

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
marlemion
Registered Member

Experience kdenlive 15.08

Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:26 pm
Hey,

I wanted to cut a little home movie from a ~600MB/80min WMV file today. Nothing special, just cut out a few scenes, put them together and put some music to it. Not longer than 2min.

It was pure horror.

First, kdenlive crashed ca. every fifth time I wanted to save. Saying that, it didn't come up with the file dalogue, but just stuck and consumed CPU.

Random crashes all the time (e.g. on track removal).

But the worst thing: single clips on tracks disappeared after saving and reopening (what I had to do a lot because of the crashes). However, when playing the tracks, the clips were still played. But they weren't displayed on the track hence they could neither be moved, changed or deleted anymore. When rendering, they were gone, too. So sometimes I would save the project and one of the clips would fall into this 'ghost' state. However, they went into the ghost state in previous save files, too! Ver weird. Nothing I could do. I had to begin from scratch.

Audio got mute. I don't know how. The only possibility was to remove the clip from the track an readd it.

I am using Arch on amd64. Pretty standard i5 with 4GB RAM. Honestly, this was the last time I touched kdenlive. If you would like to avoid users like this, please consider testing your software before release. Even for a tech preview it was plain unusable.
benoittouron
Registered Member

Re: Experience kdenlive 15.08

Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:11 pm
Hi marlemion,

To be honest, I am in the same situation as you, but my conclusion is different.

I am using kdenlive since 4 years now. OK, it is not very stable sometimes, and, as you say, the 15.04 version seems to bring some regressions. In my case, using the AVCHD files worked fine with Ubuntu 14 and kdenlive 0.9, but I have been obliged to convert them to M-JPEG because now, with the current releases of ubuntu/kdenlive, it just unusable.

BUT, please consider the work that the kdenlive team makes for you. I know all of those crash can be annoying sometimes, but instead of saying "I won't use kdenlive anymore", you should ask: "how can I help to improve it".
In my mind, the kdenlive 15.08, with no bug, could be very amazing. It is extremely powerful and has so many features ! So, I am starting to build it from source, and do bug report with precise elements. I know it requires some work, but using free software requires some counterparts.

Help kdenlive, it is worth trying !
Ben