This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Very slow preview

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stefanu
Registered Member

Very slow preview

Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:43 pm
At first Hello community:)

I use Kdenlive for some years and month ago I bought a new PC for family purpose. It is Lenovo Think Center M53. There is Intel Pentium J2900 with 4 cores at 2,4 GHz. I suppose it is sufficient power for running Kdenlive because I had worse PC before and it was OK. Anyway with my new PC it is not possible to watch video in project window. The worst situation is, when I create a slideshow and put it to the timeline. One frame last some seconds. I experimented with threads, resolution, real time (drop) but no success. Please do you have any idea how to speed it up?

I am running on Bodhi Linux. KDEnlive 0.9.6

Thanx for your help
ttguy
OS

Re: Very slow preview

Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:33 pm
0.9.6 of Kdenlive is pretty old. I would recommend upgrading to 0.9.10

Bodhi Linux is apparently ubuntu based so you should be able to use this PPA to upgrade your kdenlive
https://launchpad.net/~sunab/+archive/u ... elease-old

Install
frei0r = 1.4.0+git20140826.72e51041
Kdenlive = 0.9.10
mlt = 0.9.3+git20141005.22abed67
libvidstab=2:0.98b

from that PPA.

Do you know what release of ubuntu your Bodhi linux is based on - might be important when deciding which flavour of packages to install - the ppa only has kdenlive 0.9.10 for the utopic 14.10 release of ubuntu at the moment.

The second thing is to make sure you have proxies turned on. Because you might now be editing HD video whereas before you were editing SD video. Or before you had proxies turned on and now - on your new instal - they are off. https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... roxy_clips
stefanu
Registered Member

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:09 am
Thank you for your answer

I forgot to mention I donwgraded Kdenlive from 0.9.10 to 0.9.6 after reading some posts on the forum in order to experiment with MLT setting with threads. It did not help. OK, now I am again on 0.9.10 v, trying your recommendations. Hmm as I said my problems are with slideshow clips. Now I know, it is slow when I use dissolve and Zoom or pan effects. If I make clip just with dissolve, it work smoothly. I am not expert but could it be related to openGL matter? I turned it on in Preview settings but it has no impact. Frankly, I know nothing about GPUs and its abilities...
BTW: I haven't found MLT package on my repos. Could you explain me how to check if it is installed or how to install it?

PS: Bodhi linux is based on Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty)

Thanx again
stefanu
Registered Member

Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:27 am
Ah, OK, MLT is in version 0.9.0-3 here
ttguy
OS

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 am
I have heard it said that proxies can help with slide show clips too. People tend to have high resolution pics in their slide shows. So give proxies a go.