This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

TIPS : Bunch of High Quality images and (semi-manual) Proxy

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
djay
Registered Member
The background :
- Project with thousand of 1080p images clips (jpg)
- Computer with few ram (3go)

Has kdenlive load into the memory all the clips (uncrompressed) the memory is quickly full : it's near impossible to work (even with a lot a patience)

A solution is to use the proxy feature ! but ...
When using proxy for image clips, kdenlive will (only) transform all compressed images (jpg) to png uncompressed file format (from 1 to 6mo per images!)... why?
because proxy feature is a feature to save cpu cycle.
Result : The memory consumption is still the same.

"Proxy Images enhancement"
The tips to both save cpu cycle and memory consumption, is to (manually) resize all the proxy clips
* Close kdenlive
* Rename your projet proxy folder to "proxy2"
* Resize all the images (in my case 30% of the original size), using (for example) Gimp's David's Batch Processor : png / destination folder "proxy"
* Open Kdenlive ... and now you can work like if you have 16go on 2cpus 4cores computer ;-)
ttguy
OS
I would consider not using Kdenlive for making slide shows. Maybe you can use Libre Office Impress or power point.
djay
Registered Member
ttguy wrote:I would consider not using Kdenlive for making slide shows. Maybe you can use Libre Office Impress or power point.
I like your joke ... or not
ttguy
OS
I am actually not joking. Unfortunately it appears Libre Office impress does not have video formats as an output. I have a vague feeling that it might have in the past. But I think in powerpoint you can save slide shows in video formats. Kdenlive is a video editor and not really designed for making slide shows.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
Ffmpeg comes to mind, in fact, there's even a dedicated page on creating slideshows using ffmpeg from a set of image files: https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Create%20a ... m%20images

The resulting clip then could be used in a simple Kdenlive project to add titling and maybe some audio.