This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

size of kdenlive window

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
schulzvobach
Registered Member

size of kdenlive window

Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:51 am
the size of my KDenlive program is too big - horizontally - on my screen 4:3. How can I get it smaller? view does not help. settings not either.
regards
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Re: size of kdenlive window

Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:51 am
Are you asking this forum, how to resize a window in your desktop environment?
Maybe it will help to ask the german subforum to make it easier to understand what your problem is. I will answer there if I get the point...
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:14 pm
Schulzvobach, can you please elaborate and give more information? such as the system you are using (distribution, version), screen resolution, et cetera. Otherwise, I'm afraid, no one will be able to help you. Your post is too unclear at the moment.
schulzvobach
Registered Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:30 pm
capslock wrote:Are you asking this forum, how to resize a window in your desktop environment?
Maybe it will help to ask the german subforum to make it easier to understand what your problem is. I will answer there if I get the point...

Hi capslock,
my screen is old fashion formate 4:3. Either content of project and clip monitor are on the left side of the screen - so that the project monitor at the right is out of screen - or vice versa. I have problems changing the positions of the monitors. Vertically I can enlarge and also get monitors smaller. But horizontally they are fix. There must be some basic layout when the program opens the screen. The x for shut down the program in the upper right corner should be reachable all the time.
When I try to move new clips into the clip monitor the clip is blurred. Obviously not well transmitted.
Though the curser can be moved on the time line there is no picture on the program monitor.
I have been trying hard to capture HDV takes from camcorder Cannon XHA1 into KDenlive with dvgrab and fire wire. I have deleted KDenlive and dvgrab several times and have the programs reinstalled. Unfortunately with no success.
Version KDenlive is 0.9.6.

Is you see I am a beginner. I cannot find a clarifying manual and ' you tube' instructions are also not helpful. Where do I find a German subforum?
Best regards
schulzvobach
Registered Member

Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:39 pm
TheDiveO wrote:Schulzvobach, can you please elaborate and give more information? such as the system you are using (distribution, version), screen resolution, et cetera. Otherwise, I'm afraid, no one will be able to help you. Your post is too unclear at the moment.

hello,

KDenlive is version 0.9.6 reinstalled today. My monitor 1280x1024 /60 Hz. Does this help?

regards
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:00 pm
Well, the German Kdenlive sub forum isn't really hard to find, its directly reachable from the Kdenlive forum list; here's the https://forum.kde.org/viewforum.php?f=268.

I can only guess that what you are calling blurred and not well transferred is actually Kdenlive's proxy clip functionality. For editing, proxy clips are video reduced in size, so that you will be able to edit fluently even on lesser systems or when you are woking on hires projects.

As for your screen resolution, that's okay; I wanted to ensure that you aren't working on 800x600 or something similar.

So what kind of system do you have, that is, what distribution do you use? Maybe we can then help you resizing the initial window size.
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:30 am
Hi there,

I see that you have several problems. I suggest to solve them one after the other. Rising two new questions while anwering a clairifying question will end up in a bunch of open questions and answers. So, I will try to solve the problem that you addressed by starting a thread called "size of kdenlive window".

My answers refer to kdenlive 15.8, as I do not have 0.9.6 any more. To move the internal windows around you first should enable "Ansicht->Titelbalken anzeigen". And moving the mouse pointer between two sections (subwindows) a resize marker will show up, so you can resize windows vertically and horizontally. All in all the screen is split into two parts horizontally: the one with the preview and the one with the timeline.

Let us know the results of your effords to keep the windows sorted. :)
schulzvobach
Registered Member

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:41 pm
capslock wrote:Hi there,

I see that you have several problems. I suggest to solve them one after the other. Rising two new questions while anwering a clairifying question will end up in a bunch of open questions and answers. So, I will try to solve the problem that you addressed by starting a thread called "size of kdenlive window".

My answers refer to kdenlive 15.8, as I do not have 0.9.6 any more. To move the internal windows around you first should enable "Ansicht->Titelbalken anzeigen". And moving the mouse pointer between two sections (subwindows) a resize marker will show up, so you can resize windows vertically and horizontally. All in all the screen is split into two parts horizontally: the one with the preview and the one with the timeline.

Let us know the results of your effords to keep the windows sorted. :)

hello capslock,

thanks for your immediate answer. Sorry to raise too many different questions at once.

My KDenlive version 0.9.6 comes from app KDenlive offered by Linux 17.
I have chosen Ansicht>Titelbalken anzeigen and could move clip and project monitors vertically. The lower the pointer is moved the bigger the monitors get. Grabbing the middle of the right bar of the clip monitor and pulling to the left or the right the clip monitor could be moved.
Trying the same respectivly with the project monitor did also work.
I was not able, though, to move either one of the monitors fi to the bottom right below the time line.
At any rate the size of the KDenlive window seems to be ok for there is now the closure sign + in the upper right window.
My confusion was obviously based on the fact, that showing the "Aufnahmemonitor" in addition to the other two monitors does not leave enough space to show the entire right part. When I started to try to work with KDenlive I first attempted to grab HDV files from my camcorder XHA1.(So far no success)
How does the resize marker look?
Should I also try to get KDenlive 15.8 and how?
Best regards
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:52 pm
Please note that you can "drop" a monitor on another monitor so that both monitors share the same space, but only one is shown at any given time. While you are dragging a monitor on another monitor watch for the highlighted outline to become those of the other monitor, then drop. A set of tabs will appear under the monitor that then let you switch monitors. Especially when your screen space is tight, a tabbed monitor configuration may become useful.
schulzvobach
Registered Member

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:30 pm
TheDiveO wrote:Please note that you can "drop" a monitor on another monitor so that both monitors share the same space, but only one is shown at any given time. While you are dragging a monitor on another monitor watch for the highlighted outline to become those of the other monitor, then drop. A set of tabs will appear under the monitor that then let you switch monitors. Especially when your screen space is tight, a tabbed monitor configuration may become useful.

hello TheDiveO - and thank you for your hints.
If I grab the little sign situated left to the cross + in the upper right corner of the project-monitor I can change the size of the monitor so that most parts of the clip monitor are covered. The monitor enlarges horizontally, not vertically. Same effect with clip monitor and recording monitor.
I was not successful to drop a monitor.
When I highlight Monitor>change full size monitor the entire window freezes. I cannot come back to other windows, but have to pull the 220Volt socket.
Do you think I should continue trouble shooting or change the entire editing program?
best regards
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:26 am
You can enlarge the clip/project monitor vertically by finding the resize area between the timeline and the clip monitor. You can enlarge the timeline and will make the monitors above smaller or vice versa. With a bit of patience you can completely fill your preview monitors.

My setup (on a 16:9 screen): timeline about 50% vertically of the lower screen, even though the timeline is not filled with tracks. Right to the timeline I have sound level. Above the leftmost 40% horizontally are filled with ClipList, Effectstack and Tranisition settings in one tabbed window space. 40% in the middle with Clip/Project preview in one tabbed window space and 20% for the effect list. Writing this, I get the point that your screen is too narrow and will leave a lot of unused space vertically.

Before changing the video editor you may want to consider to buy a 16:9 display that will fit better for video editing independent of the editor.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Re: size of kdenlive window  Topic is solved

Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:45 pm
While this may sound like a strange advice to your problem with the monitors not easily resizable, I would like to second capslock nevertheless. After working with video for maybe a year I finally ditched my existing display and got me a 16:9 25xx×1440 Eizo display. With the 4k crazyness you should be able to get a decent hires display with many pixels for not much money. The only limit to watch for are the resolution limits imposed by DVI and DP. Alas, this larger display got me immediate relief: simply enough room to work without hazzle. Especially the wide timeline is so much better than crammed 4:3 displays.
qubodup
Registered Member

Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:59 am
schulzvobach wrote:I was not successful to drop a monitor.

Maybe wiggle it a little. :)

Here's a video on how to resize Kdenlive elements. Although you might have an older version:
https://youtu.be/PUu03qz2zF8
schulzvobach
Registered Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:19 pm
capslock wrote:You can enlarge the clip/project monitor vertically by finding the resize area between the timeline and the clip monitor. You can enlarge the timeline and will make the monitors above smaller or vice versa. With a bit of patience you can completely fill your preview monitors.

My setup (on a 16:9 screen): timeline about 50% vertically of the lower screen, even though the timeline is not filled with tracks. Right to the timeline I have sound level. Above the leftmost 40% horizontally are filled with ClipList, Effectstack and Tranisition settings in one tabbed window space. 40% in the middle with Clip/Project preview in one tabbed window space and 20% for the effect list. Writing this, I get the point that your screen is too narrow and will leave a lot of unused space vertically.

Before changing the video editor you may want to consider to buy a 16:9 display that will fit better for video editing independent of the editor.

Hello,
I still cannot move my monitors for clips and project down into the right or left corner. There is supposed to be a bar underneith the monitors indicating which monitor you use. Cannot find it. When I use the button Monitor > full size > change monitor I get the full version but cannot move anything anymore. The only solution is a new start of the PC.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe the bigger sized monitor helps
best regards
schulzvobach
Registered Member

Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:25 pm
TheDiveO wrote:While this may sound like a strange advice to your problem with the monitors not easily resizable, I would like to second capslock nevertheless. After working with video for maybe a year I finally ditched my existing display and got me a 16:9 25xx×1440 Eizo display. With the 4k crazyness you should be able to get a decent hires display with many pixels for not much money. The only limit to watch for are the resolution limits imposed by DVI and DP. Alas, this larger display got me immediate relief: simply enough room to work without hazzle. Especially the wide timeline is so much better than crammed 4:3 displays.

hi,
thank you very much for your response.
I still cannot move my monitors for clips and project down into the right or left corner. There is supposed to be a bar underneith the monitors indicating which monitor you use. Cannot find it. When I use the button Monitor > full size > change monitor I get the full version but cannot move anything anymore. The only solution is a new start of the PC.

Thank you for your advice. Maybe the bigger sized monitor helps
best regards