This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

newbie question about version numbers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pances
Registered Member
Hi everyone,
I've been using Kdenlive version 0.9.8 on a desktop computer with Linux Mint 17.2, using KDE Development Platform 4.14.2 for a while now. It works pretty good. Except for the mysterious crashes once in a while, I've learned to always save. I thought I'd check to see if there were any new updates, now I see the latest version of Kdenlive is 15.xxxx

Can someone explain the versioning system.

Also, is it recommended to manually install this latest version of Kdenlive on Linux Mint?

Thanks.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
To my limited knowledge the Kdenlive developers adopted a new versioning scheme when they ported Kdenlive to the recent KDE Framework 5 (KF5). They are following the versioning scheme adopted by the KDE Project, in particular, YY.MM.p. YY is the year of the release. MM the month. Typically, there are only few major releases, two this year so far: 15.04 in April, 15.08 in August. These releases should being follow the KF5 releases, as Kdenlive is now part of the KDE 5 Applications. The third number p then indicates the patchlevel releases, that is, bug fix releases that happen from time to tome in between the larger KDE Applications releases.

Kdenlive 0.9.10 so far is the last Kdenlive release for KDE 4. Any new development so far has taken place in the 15.04 and 15.08 main releases. If I'm not mistaken, the latest official patchlevel is 15.08.2. Rumor has it that there is an upcoming 15.08.3 in the next weeks.

Since the port of KF5 seems to have been a bigger effort, dust is still settling. Unfortunately, several distributions were too eager to push out Kdenlive 15.04 without much testing, especially with respect to MLT and Avlib instead of Ffmpeg. This has surely caused some grieving. Kdenlive 15.04.2 as well as 15.08.2 can be used in production ... albeit I would suggest to carefully test your particular situation first. I did five projects small projects so far, that is, less than 10min of footage, with several tracks and thus several overlays, and some audio. However, I early decided to go compiling Kdenlive, MLT, and Ffmpeg myself, after much trouble with stock Kdelive from Kubuntu's 15.04 release.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Last edited by TheDiveO on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
TheDiveO wrote:...bug fix releases that happen from time to tome in between...

While being a typo, this sounds quite prophetic... xD
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Thanks TheDiveO for these explanations, just to complete :
Kdenlive integrated KDE Applications, one of the reasons being to delegate the release process to KDE team.
KDE Applications have now a fixed release schedule every 4 month (new features), with bugfix releases every month (on Wednesday around the 15th).
I don't think 15.4.* was good for serious work, 15.8.1 is not far from good but a major bug is destroying 15.8.2; a patch is offered for packagers, but as 15.8.3 is coming in 10 days I think everyone is just waiting.
15.12.0 will come mid-december with some new interesting things, but we definitely have to improve the beta-testing process.

Vincent
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
The current Applications/15.08 that is almost 15.08.3 looks quite fine to me, at least in my small projects.
qubodup
Registered Member
TheDiveO wrote:To my limited knowledge the Kdenlive developers adopted a new versioning scheme when they ported Kdenlive to the recent KDE Framework 5 (KF5).

That's right:
We have adopted the KDE Applications numbering scheme. From now on, Kdenlive versions will be numbered with Year.Month.Bugfix. That explains the 15.04.0 version.

- https://kdenlive.org/node/9433