This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

stability question migrating from 0.9.10 to 15.xxx

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kalimerox
Registered Member
I was wondering: i m just editing a longer project in kdenlive 0.9.10 and I m ok with it, but I want to move to kdenlive 15 at some point when I see it is stable enough for my tasks.. is there any problem with opening a session created and saved in 0.9.10 and opening later in 15.xx ? Thank you!!
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
If I'm not mistaken, Kdenlive 15.04.x used the same format as 0.9.10. Kdenlive 15.08.x uses an upgraded format, from which there is no way back to 0.9.10. So, if you load an existing 0.9.10 project into 15.08.x you'll get a notice saying that your project was upgraded. This will only become permanent if you now save this project in 15.08.x; then there's no way back. Anyway, keep a copy of the last known working 0.9.10 project files.

Now, I've upgraded two projects from 0.9.10 to 15.04.x without immediate problems. However I sometimes notice different behavior between native 15.8.x projects and upgraded projects ... but it is difficult to track them really down; the reason may not in fact be the upgrade but something I did differently between the 0.9.10 and 15.8.x projects. So in general the transition/upgrade should be without problems. But in detail your mileage may vary. Or you NOx and CO2...
kalimerox
Registered Member
Thanks DiveO , thats what I needed to know, so before upgrading i ll do some tests and see how it ll work..
kalimerox
Registered Member
Ok, I m back on the thread again, I m tryting to migrate my video editing to kdenlive 15.12.0

and hav eone big question: which distro are you guys using for that?? I m familiar with different distros , so for example it wont be possible to install kdenlive 15.12.0 on debian stable nor on linux mint if i understood right because of the kde5 ....

I have sucessfully installed on manjaro linux and start testing, it seems to not be very stable. but maybe after a reboot... so again : what distro / configuration are u using to get the full kdenlive experience? ;) Thanks!! !
ttguy
OS
kubuntu is a popular choice - kdenlive being a kde application
kalimerox
Registered Member
thanks ttguy! i ll check that out!
I personally was never so much into the kde desktop and used mostly xfce desktop and MATE .. could this make a difference regarding stability etc?
ttguy
OS
kalimerox wrote:could this make a difference regarding stability etc?

No idea how distros vs kdenive versions interact with respect to stabiility
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
Regarding the significant amount of problem reports here in the forum and in the bug tracker I can only recommend at this time to use a KDE-oriented recent distribution. Everything else requires some patience and experimentation with unknown results. For instance, Kubuntu 15.10 should suffice the job, some others seems to suffice also, but I'm not sure about them.
kalimerox
Registered Member
Thank you guys for the answers, I m still testing on manjaro linux (arch linux based) and it seems to be quite stable till now, but havent done any final rendering yet..... I ll keep testing tomorrow and see if it s stable enough, if not i ll switch over to kubuntu or try running manjaro kde...
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
I think the there was just another post here about Arch Linux and Mint Linux that reported success.
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Little to no problems with Archlinux here. Manjaro as an Arch derivate should be fine as well. The only downside of Manjaro is (from the German wikipedia) that if changes for Manjaro have to be made, the Arch packages will be replicated and changed. If that happens, you may encounter different problems than on Archlinux, which will always use the vanilla source code from kdenlive.
kalimerox
Registered Member
thank you very much! yes after 2 days, I did some tests , renderings and using effects and transitions, and things seem to work fine on manjaro, I m very glad to have a stable and new video editor again! :) :)