This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unstable

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
amadlopes
Registered Member

Unstable

Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:06 pm
I'm using kdenlive on a manjaro machine and I love it but have a big problem is almost impossible to work because it chashes 2-3 times per hour. I'm using an AUR version (15.09) because the the normal (extra) version was completely impossible to work. I'm using it on a lenovo t430 with ssd. There is no padron for the crashes, it crashes when ever it wants. Is there anything I can do to get it better ? Is it only on manjaro ? Please help.

Thanks,

Afonso
higltypig
Registered Member

Re: Unstable

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:22 pm
you're not alone.

Kdenlive has taken quite a big drop in stability recently. VERY much looking forward to seeing a more stable version.

You could try an older version? It was working ok a few months back. Not sure where you'd get an older version sorry. :(
CorrosiveTruths
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:49 pm
I don't have any experience using old packages with Manjaro, but the version of kdenlive you'll want is 0.9.10, the lack of stability is to do with a move from using kde4 libraries to kde5. In fact, kind of wish they'd just stuck with kde4 stuff, but the move would have to happen eventually I guess, and I hope it will stabilise again soon.

It was a bit of a pain rolling back to kdenlive-0.9.10 with Tumbleweed as other bits were compiled against kde5 and needed replacing (mlt and frie0r-plugins).

Sorry I couldn't be more help :/
amadlopes
Registered Member

Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:25 pm
Thanks a lot you all. It really help because I was think what I was doing wrong or if it was a problem of manjaro/archlinux because they tend to be blending edge. Now I know that it is a problem of kdenlive and it is a pitty because I like it very much. I think I'm going to try alternatives like openshot or shotcut. I think that kdenlive is better, as far as know but until is more stable I think I will use the alternatives.
Thanks for the responses.

Afonso
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 pm
Kdenlive 15.8.* is the stable branch, even if based on KF5.
We had a problem in 15.8.2 (october release), but normally 15.8.3 should be fine for normal work (tagged last week, archives from yesterday).
15.9 is the development branch, but it should become a release within 1 month, so we would appreciate very much feedback from you alpha tester ;)
If you identify a crash condition, please reproduce it in gdb and send the backtrace. Sometimes the problem can be in ffmpeg/mlt (eg recent memory leak & wrong composite+alpha operations)...
Note: we are aware that we have problems with titles in Qt5 but very tricky and didn't find a fix yet.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:01 am
vpinion, which MLT version has the memory leak problem? I'm asking because I have seen such a leak in MLT with four or five affine/composition transitions at the same time in a larger project. Is there a fixed stable MLT available or only dev MLT?
amadlopes
Registered Member

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:26 am
vpinon I was using 15.8.2 but was impossible to work so after to try to fix it with tips from forum on manjaro I decided to try the aur one (15.9). It is better but it crashes 2-3 times per hour. I would apreciate to help but I can't isolate when it crashes. It crashes when I'm moving clip on timeline, when I tryed to apply transitions or effects etc
When the version 15.8.3 arrives to the repository I will try it and tell you how it works.

Thanks a lot you all.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:06 am
TheDiveO: Dan doesn't release MLT so often, so building the dev MLT is sometimes necessary to get the latest fix.
If there is a problem with composite, that can be an issue with 15.9 as there are automatic composite transitions on every track...
amadlopes: if no DrKonqi offers to crate backtrace, then you could run "gdb kdenlive" then "run", and "bt" after the crash, and paste the output to pastebin...
CorrosiveTruths
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:07 pm
vpinon wrote:Kdenlive 15.8.* is the stable branch, even if based on KF5.
We had a problem in 15.8.2 (october release), but normally 15.8.3 should be fine for normal work (tagged last week, archives from yesterday).
15.9 is the development branch, but it should become a release within 1 month, so we would appreciate very much feedback from you alpha tester ;)
If you identify a crash condition, please reproduce it in gdb and send the backtrace. Sometimes the problem can be in ffmpeg/mlt (eg recent memory leak & wrong composite+alpha operations)...
Note: we are aware that we have problems with titles in Qt5 but very tricky and didn't find a fix yet.

Yeah, sorry, I don't mean to suggest that kdenlive-0.9 is the stable branch, just that in terms of stability I find it's more solid than current kdenlive.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:32 pm
vpinon wrote:TheDiveO: Dan doesn't release MLT so often, so building the dev MLT is sometimes necessary to get the latest fix.
If there is a problem with composite, that can be an issue with 15.9 as there are automatic composite transitions on every track...

For production I'm keeping with the branch "Applications/15.08" at this time. There should not be any automatic composite transitions then, right?
kalimerox
Registered Member

Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:20 am
I have the same problem on my second laptop running manjaro: there is no kdenlive 0.9.8x available anymore through the AUR .... if anybody can point me to how to get kdenlive 0.9.8.10 run on manjaro that would be fantastic :)
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:29 pm
If you can use Archlinux packages (you mentioned AUR), you will find the old versions of kdenlive (and any other package) here:
http://seblu.net/a/archive/packages/k/kdenlive/

But you will have to take care of the dependencies by yourself.
qubodup
Registered Member

Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:55 pm
vpinon wrote:We had a problem in 15.8.2 (october release), but normally 15.8.3 should be fine for normal work (tagged last week, archives from yesterday).

I just would like to confirm that in my experience, 15.08.3 is rather stable on Arch Linux 64bit with AMD Catalyst graphics drivers.
CorrosiveTruths
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:31 pm
qubodup wrote:
vpinon wrote:We had a problem in 15.8.2 (october release), but normally 15.8.3 should be fine for normal work (tagged last week, archives from yesterday).

I just would like to confirm that in my experience, 15.08.3 is rather stable on Arch Linux 64bit with AMD Catalyst graphics drivers.

Yes, I've found now that I had the opportunity to try out kdenlive-15.08.3 with a new project, I have found it to be stable enough for proper use.

A few bugs present that weren't in kdenlive-0.9, but nothing show stopping and I imagine they'll go away soon. (even sooner once I get the time to report them all properly).
kalimerox
Registered Member

Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:09 pm
good to know, thanks! I ll give it another shot!

problem here is: manjaro works perfectly with dual monitor desktop with the nouveau drivers and horrible performance with the proprietary drivers, so i cant really use them to please kdenlive ;)