This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Rendering to file yields an empty file

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mediaknight
Registered Member
Hello,

i'm new to the forum, and I know this question is floating about, but I've yet to find an answer. I've looked at most of the offerings for video editing software for Linux, and Kdenlive appears to have a really nice UI, with lots of options, making me think that this should work since so much has gone into the application.

When I Render Project > Render to File, it appears to be working for an instant, and then the file completes with nothing in it (Rendering finished in 00:00:00).

I've also tried the option to Generate Script, but when I run it I get "Rendering crashed" when I Start Script.

Linux Mint 17.3
Kdenlive Version 0.9.8
Using KDE Development Platform 4.14.13

I don't know what Melt I have or how to find it. I've also tried this in terminal as I read that it could be linked to the issue:

sudo apt-get install libavcodec-unstripped-52 libavdevice-unstripped-52 libavformat-unstripped-52 libavutil-unstripped-49 libpostproc-unstripped-51 libswscale-unstripped-0
Which returns the following errors:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libavcodec-unstripped-52
E: Unable to locate package libavdevice-unstripped-52
E: Unable to locate package libavformat-unstripped-52
E: Unable to locate package libavutil-unstripped-49
E: Unable to locate package libpostproc-unstripped-51
E: Unable to locate package libswscale-unstripped-0

Thanks for taking the time to make any suggests.

-mk
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Please run kdenlive from console and post the output here. And you may want to check how to fix the ubuntuish related problems by browsing the Install board in this forum.
mediaknight
Registered Member
Hey Capslock,

Here's the terminal output on launch:

Code: Select all
kdenlive(14603) MainWindow::parseProfiles: RESULTING MLT PATH:  "/usr/share/mlt/profiles/"
No LADSPA plugins were found!

Check your LADSPA_PATH environment variable.
kdenlive(14603) RecMonitor::RecMonitor: /////// BUILDING MONITOR, ID:  56623221
kdenlive(14603) MainWindow::loadPlugins: Parsing plugin folder:  "/usr/lib/kde4/"
kdenlive(14603) MainWindow::loadPlugins: Found plugin:  "libkdenlive_sampleplugin.so"
kdenlive(14603) MainWindow::addToMenu: // ADD to MENU ("Countdown", "Noise")
kdenlive(14603) KdenliveDoc::setProfilePath: Kdenlive document, init timecode from path:  "atsc_1080p_2997" ,   29.97
kdenlive(14603) TrackView::slotAddProjectTrack: *************  ADD DOC TRACK  4 , DURATION:  0
kdenlive(14603) TrackView::slotAddProjectTrack: *************  ADD DOC TRACK  3 , DURATION:  0
kdenlive(14603) TrackView::slotAddProjectTrack: *************  ADD DOC TRACK  2 , DURATION:  0
kdenlive(14603) TrackView::slotAddProjectTrack: *************  ADD DOC TRACK  1 , DURATION:  0
kdenlive(14603) TrackView::slotAddProjectTrack: *************  ADD DOC TRACK  0 , DURATION:  0
kdenlive(14603) TrackView::parseDocument: ///////////  TOTAL PROJECT DURATION:  1
kdenlive(14603) Render::resetProfile: reset to same profile, nothing to do
kdenlive(14603) Render::checkMaxThreads: // MLT threads updated to:  10
kdenlive(14603) Render::setSceneList: // NEW SCENE LIST DURATION SET TO:  2
kdenlive(14603) MainWindow::connectDocument: ///////////////////   CONNECTING DOC TO PROJECT VIEW ////////////////

Thanks for checking it out.

--mk
mediaknight
Registered Member
OK,

An update on this. I suddenly recalled how launching from the terminal can affect the behaviors of an app, so I tried another render after having launched Kdenlive in terminal to get the output, and lo' and behold, it rendered and the output was just what I'd hoped for. And then I made a new edit and rendered again.

So the question remains as to what is happening when I launch from the GUI that keeps the rendering from working....

Thanks again,

--mk
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Glad to read you could render.
Why rendering works when started on command line and not when started by icon... Difficult to say from here. Maybe the icon starts some script (different from just calling kdenlive) that is messed up.

Generally I would say, that the problem is not kdenlive related.
mediaknight
Registered Member
capslock wrote:Glad to read you could render.
Why rendering works when started on command line and not when started by icon... Difficult to say from here. Maybe the icon starts some script (different from just calling kdenlive) that is messed up.

Generally I would say, that the problem is not kdenlive related.

I now have it working when starting from the GUI, but I can't tell you why, unfortunately. I know that I tweaked several things along the way, and I was pressed for time so I neglected to record everything.

Thanks much for your input.

--mk
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
I have this same problem when rendering to webm - but only webm, mp4 and other settings work fine.
"Finished rendering in 00:00:00:00"
The codec is installed, and I can produce webm videos via ffmpeg.

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything