This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Workflow Improvements: Logging clips

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
I would like to suggest an improvement to the clip-logging process which I think would benefit people editing video interviews, where spoken content & specific quotes are important.

Before even thinking about how I will edit my interview in the timeline, I go through each clip, create subclips from the interesting bits and add markers for specific quotes:
I play through a clip in the bin, marking In & Out points around interesting sections, and using Ctrl+I to create subclips.
At the same time, I am using my shortcut for 'add marker' (M) to quickly write down relevant keywords & quotes so that I can orient myself amongst my footage later on, when it is in the timeline. This happens without stopping playback, so it's really just three or four words per marker.

This also has the advantage that I don't need to use the mouse - everything happens with keyboard shortcuts, and I can work pretty fast.

I like the content overview that this gives me in the timeline (see image) but I don't have an overview at all in the Project Bin - I simply have anonymous 'Zone 1, Zone 2' subclips, with empty descriptions.
It would be useful to have a quick overview of my interview content in the Project Bin, but for that, I need to type in additional descriptions for each clip, which is basically doubling my workload, as I already did that by adding markers.

So a solution to this problem could be that the Description field of a Clip or Subclip is by default filled with text from any markers contained in that clip.
So, let's say that I have set two markers within my In and Out zone: Marker 1: 'My name is Susan' and Marker 2: 'CEO of ACME industries'.
When I create a subclip with Ctrl+I, the description field would be automatically filled with "My name is Susan, CEO of ACME industries'

Later on when scrolling through the bin, looking at the clip Descriptions makes it very clear which subclip is the one containing Susan's introduction.

What do other people think of this approach? is there a more effective way in which you could add information once, without stopping playback or needing the mouse, and have that relevant information visible both in the Project Bin and the timeline?

One other improvement which would greatly speed up clip logging of interview footage would be a little fine-tuning of the J,K,L functionality - ideally, when playing back footage at 100% speed, hitting L once would switch to 125% speed: still slow enough to comprehend and work with, but slightly more time-efficient than playback at normal speed (relevant to johnhollowell's recent topic).

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
oh, one more thing regarding markers:
I noticed that in the KF5 version, my favourite little bug has been fixed - at least on my machine, it used to be that when setting a marker, the program would try to generate a thumbnail of that frame. The thumbnail never worked, instead it would create a beautiful, colourful little piece of abstract, pixelly glitch art...
Now it just creates a working thumbnail which displays when you hover over the marker. Kdenlive is so boring now that it's getting professional :)

Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
farid
Registered Member
OS
depending on the project i use a different workflow, i don't have a systemized one per se. usually when i have to deal with a lot of interviews, i open my clips in vlc where i put a slow playback speed and write down everything that is said to then build the story/script, yours is an interesting approach that i would like to know more about. :)

sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
yeah, I often find it useful to have a transcript or at least an outline as well, which is the part that you are describing. That's especially useful for longer interviews.
If I have a whole lot of interview material, a complex story to tell, and/or a tight deadline, I sometimes send the audio to a transcription service for that purpose.

But the markers and subclips process is what I use for fast turnaround, short interviews with a clear goal in mind.
I know the story I want to tell, and I don't have to thread this interview together with a whole lot of other interviews, so a full transcript isn't necessary, I'm just going to grab the bits I want and arrange them in an order which makes sense.

The main things that this process achieves is a rough pre-selection of 'the pretty good stuff' with markers set at specific quotes - this is much, much faster to achieve than transcribing everything, and I make progress in the edit at the same time - my subclips don't include any of the interruptions, off-topic chatter, messed-up answers and other irrelevant material.
If I then drag all of my subclips into the timeline, I can do a quick re-order based on the visible markers.
That means that even before I do my first pass in the timeline, I'm already well along the way to a rough edit.

The main reason I would also like to see the markers visible in the Bin would be to check if I have all the relevant material in the timeline (maybe I missed something) or to reverse a decision later - to go back and find a quote which I had previously removed, and add it to the timeline again.

farid
Registered Member
OS
what i would do sometimes is something similar, but instead of ctrl+i i add everything in the timeline and then compose the story. wow, this ctrl + i feature is amazing much more elegant and clean. i have been using kdenlive for years and didn't know about it.

cheers :D

sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
oh, I forgot to mention: this little open source web app helps a lot with transcribing: http://otranscribe.com
try it out next time!

TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
Sammuirhead, I find your idea and workflow very neat. I never had markers found to be useful, but you brought up a good idea here. So what about making the bin columns configurable? Similar to, say, columns in Dolphin? So we could introduce a new column markers that would simply list markers present on that clip or range. This would have the benefit that users even could use the existing clip comment column simultaneously with the new markers column in any mix as needed. What do you think?
sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS
yeah! I agree, that would be ideal.

I'm always worried when suggesting things that would improve my workflow as I know that different people work in different ways, so what's better for me may be actually be annoying or detrimental to others. But I think this solution would work really nicely and won't get in the way of existing uses that people may have for the Description column.
I have put this idea in a feature request on the bug tracker.

kalimerox
Registered Member
Ctrl-i made my editing day! Thanks for that info! ;)