This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Extract Frame - Change jpg quality

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gnowak
Registered Member
OS

Extract Frame - Change jpg quality

Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:45 am
Hi

I was wondering if you can change the jpg quality to for example 90, when extracting a frame from the video. The png is often too large for youtube.

Kdenlive version 15.12.0

/Plantsugar Ⓥegan youtube.

Vegan Consultancy Services , Linux backend servers, R-project, Logistics, Data Conversion, Drupal Websites and Upgrade to Drupal 9, Excel/VBA.
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Consider to use either a graphic software like gimp, a picture viewer like gwenview or imagemagic tools from command line to convert the png to a small thumbnail jpg for youtube. All mentioned products do it very well, imagemagic will do batch processing of your pics, including resize and setting quality levels.
gnowak
Registered Member
OS
Thanks capslock, I am already doing that. It would be nice to be able to adjust the jpg quality in Kdenlive though. It will extract it as jpg, but you are not able to set the quality. Wonder why?

Vegan Consultancy Services , Linux backend servers, R-project, Logistics, Data Conversion, Drupal Websites and Upgrade to Drupal 9, Excel/VBA.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
Why not opening a bug/feature report about your idea? The only stumbling step I see at this time is that the current save frame dialog would need to be redone completely in order to support a quality slider that becomes active only when trying to save a jpeg file.
capslock
Registered Member
OS
gnowak, thanks for your information. Before filing a feature request, please consider if that would be a feature for the masses and how often you will use it. I fear the interface gets more and more overloaded with such (additional and not directly editing related) features, but on the other hand making snapshots is something I rarely do.
gnowak
Registered Member
OS
I agree that it should not be overdone or overkilled.

I guess all youtubers do it a lot. :-)

I am not looking for a slider, maybe just a hack where you can edit a settings file or maybe if we are fancy in the program settings, where you can set the jpg quality or even the png compression level.

Thanks.

gnowak
Registered Member
OS
I actually found a quite neat workaround. You just type .jpg when saving the thumbnail, and it will save it in that image type, even though the interface shows .png. :-D