This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

New Logo Proposal

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
farid
Registered Member
OS

New Logo Proposal

Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:13 pm
Hi

Here is a proposal of the new logo. What do you think?

fone626
Registered Member

Re: New Logo Proposal

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:01 pm
It's nice looking in general, but if you are trying to convey video editor with it, I think it might be saying audio editor more.

I'd also make it more of a square so that when an icon is made out of it that it doesn't have to get cut off or squished.

I like the concept and the simplicity. I think something along this line would be nice.

Brian Cluff
massimostella
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:52 am
I like it.
But I created a modded version of it.

eezacque
Registered Member

Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:47 am
Unless you want to promote kdenlive as a tool for nerds, I suggest to choose something less technical.
At least, do something with a film roll...
massimostella
Registered Member
OS

Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:56 pm
I don't believe the goal is to promote Kdenlive as a tool for nerd but as a tool for professionals.
I think that the film roll is a little bit a vintage icon mostly today in the digital age where film stock are becoming something rare.
Maybe for a brainstorming purpose we can check the logos of main professional video editors on the market.
This is the list of the most used applications by professionals:

AVID media composer
Final Cut Pro
Premiere Pro
Sony Vegas
Lightworks
Canopus Edius
Davinci resolve

The only cinematic icon is the ciak board used by Final Cut Pro.
Feedbacks are welcome.
farid
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:14 pm
massimostella wrote:I like it.
But I created a modded version of it.

the idea is interesting to join the pointer with the "l" of kdenlive but when you switched the audio and video timelines you get the feeling of the image taking you down instead of upwards. also that image is an homage of the old logo. we are going to consider the input we have so far and send another proposal.

cheers

jessed
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:27 pm
Hey Farid,

I like it! I also made some modifications based on the suggestions from some others here and the official Kdenlive mailing list. I stuck to the primary colors of the new Breeze icon: red, blue and charcoal black. I also made something that could easy be converted into a flat icon or different-styled icon to match different icon themes. That would unify both brand logo and app icon, which is definitely needed for Kdenlive's brand recognition.

Alright, here it is:
With dark background: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cirl51m57mi3i ... 2.png?dl=0
With light background: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ff5xtrldl8nz ... d.png?dl=0
(Sorry, I didn't know to post pictures on the forum. :) )

Thoughts?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
farid
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:21 pm
Based on some comments and suggestions as well as a different conceptual approach here is a new version:

cheers :)

sammuirhead
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:56 pm
nice work Farid! it's looking good.
I made a quick remix just to try something out, see the bottom left version here, where I have rearranged the audio waveform to roughly match the reflection of the play arrow. Is it a useful improvement?

http://www.cameralibre.cc
Free Culture videos made with Free/Libre/Open Source Software about Open Hardware, Open Data, Open Everything
farid
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:03 pm
sammuirhead wrote:nice work Farid! it's looking good.
I made a quick remix just to try something out, see the bottom left version here, where I have rearranged the audio waveform to roughly match the reflection of the play arrow. Is it a useful improvement?

hey sam, really nice improvement! :D

jessed
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:18 pm
Good stuff. Options are always good. :)

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:26 pm
Really nice work! Definitely a good development, as we're getting nearer to a square graphical logo that would fit icon size restrictions.

Do you think it would work to make this icon exactly square by moving the playhead or edit cursor into the triangle and then doing the left part of the triangle not solid as before but instead in form of your audio wave?

While I still associate the bars more with a pure audio editor than a video editor, maybe reducing the number of audio bars and making them thicker slabs could then be also seen as the film going into editing...? Just a wild guess, I guess...
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:32 pm
I really like this new design in general!
More original than anything seen up to now, but still very informative, beautiful!
You can fix few details if you like, but we are on the good track, looking forward to switch to it (+associated site theme :-D)
jessed
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:15 pm
I agree with TheDiveO's suggestion: I feel like the audio waves are a little too audio-editor-esque. I realize we're trying to get away from the filmstrip, but if the bars were a little bit thicker, I think it'd give a little clearer message about Kdenlive's purpose (after all, the Play symbol can be associated with audio editing, too, you know?)

Other than that, agreed. Great stuff, Farid! :) I'd say go for it!

jessed
Registered Member
OS

Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:32 pm
If this goes through, I might also encourage considering to change the color of the position cursor in the timeline to match the color of the cursor in the logo. Would certainly bridge the association between the logo and the program. Just a thought. :)