This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Audio "click" noise at start of audio clip

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
hmethorst
Registered Member
Running:

Version 15.13.0
KDE Frameworks 5.15.0
Qt 5.4.2 (built against 5.4.2)
The xcb windowing system

When previewing, I hear nothing, and to help mitigate, I am even using Fade in to combat this issue, but I still hear a faint "pop" sound at the beginning of my audio clips.

Any ideas?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
I believe we've heard of similar things several times already, but can't remember the conclusions sorry :-\
What is the format of your source (audio codec, muxer) ? Is it still present if you transcode audio to wav ?
What are FFmpeg version, MLT version... ?
Cheers,
Vincent
hmethorst
Registered Member
Hey there, I am using WAV (recorded in Audacity).

As far as MLT version, I'll have to investigate...
hmethorst
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:Hello,
I believe we've heard of similar things several times already, but can't remember the conclusions sorry :-\
What is the format of your source (audio codec, muxer) ? Is it still present if you transcode audio to wav ?
What are FFmpeg version, MLT version... ?
Cheers,
Vincent

FYI also running Kubuntu 15.10, if that helps.
hmethorst
Registered Member
ii ffmpeg 7:2.7.6-0ubuntu0.15.10.1 amd64 Tools for transcoding, streaming and playing of multimedia files

henry@kubuntu:~/Downloads$ dpkg --list | grep mlt
ii libmlt++3 6.1.0+git20160312.4b1012d5-0ubuntu0~sunab~wily1 amd64 MLT multimedia framework C++ wrapper (runtime)
ii libmlt-data 6.1.0+git20160312.4b1012d5-0ubuntu0~sunab~wily1 all multimedia framework (data)
ii libmlt6 6.1.0+git20160312.4b1012d5-0ubuntu0~sunab~wily1 amd64 multimedia framework (runtime)
henry@kubuntu:~/Downloads$
hmethorst
Registered Member
Would still like some help with this if possible
Stetsbequem
Registered Member
OS
Hi hmethorst,
hmethorst wrote:When previewing, I hear nothing, and to help mitigate, I am even using Fade in to combat this issue, but I still hear a faint "pop" sound at the beginning of my audio clips.

I know the problem. Workaround: export the audio track (separate) from Kdenlive to lossless (Wave, Flac); if the noise still occurs, take Audacity for correction. (Video and audio can be packed with a suitable tool in the appropriate container.) HTH ;-)

The Social Credit System is a credit rating and blacklist being developed by the the ruling Chinese Communist Party. The goal is total control of the population by awarding points for desirable behavior, or withdrawing them for negative behavior.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
hmethorst
Registered Member
Stetsbequem wrote:Hi hmethorst,
hmethorst wrote:When previewing, I hear nothing, and to help mitigate, I am even using Fade in to combat this issue, but I still hear a faint "pop" sound at the beginning of my audio clips.

I know the problem. Workaround: export the audio track (separate) from Kdenlive to lossless (Wave, Flac); if the noise still occurs, take Audacity for correction. (Video and audio can be packed with a suitable tool in the appropriate container.) HTH ;-)

Hi there,

My audio clips are actually voice over tracks recorded in audacity in WAV. It is when I take a WAV and cut it within kdenlive. I suppose I can just produce individual WAV files from audacity but it's just a bit more tedious than it should have to be.

nm I see what you are getting at. Okay yes this would work but again quite tedious. Thanks

Last edited by hmethorst on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
hmethorst
Registered Member
vpinon wrote:hello, does this help ?
viewtopic.php?f=271&t=122725&p=323625#p323625

Are you inferring to the "add empty track at bottom" suggestion? I have no idea what the does but I'll try. Thanks
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS
I think that vpinion suggests using an empty audio track. There's also the empty video track method but I don't think that vpinion refers to that.