This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Video Editor Recommendation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
robcolbert
Registered Member

Video Editor Recommendation

Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:20 pm
Look, I do enjoy KDEnlive for some things, but the bugs are too much. I would like to ask a question.

As a developer with 30 years of experience in games and enterprise development, can I help? Not a damn joke.

Or, can anyone recommend a video editor for Linux with features like "transitions that work" and "doesn't literally crash ALWAYS"?

Thanks,
-Rob
farid
Registered Member
OS

Re: Video Editor Recommendation

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:08 pm
robcolbert wrote:As a developer with 30 years of experience in games and enterprise development, can I help? Not a damn joke.

of course you can help, do you know c++ or qt? go to the bug tracker and try to solve some bugs. the devs can help you out figure some things out.

robcolbert wrote:Or, can anyone recommend a video editor for Linux with features like "transitions that work" and "doesn't literally crash ALWAYS"?

which kdenive version are you using? which mlt version? when does the crash happen? have you reported the bug so we can try to reproduce it?

vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:10 pm
As usual : which Kdenlive version (& which distribution)?
Note that current releases are 15.12.3 & 16.03.70 = beta (with MLT 6.0.0); please try these versions and if you still experience the crash please send a backtrace...

Sorry for inconvenience
and sorry no tip for other linux editor, else we would also switch to it ;-)
kalimerox
Registered Member

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:16 pm
alternative on linux, there s none! well maybe lightworks, but that s a different story and other problems...
I d suggest also: wait till the april release, I m pretty sure things get more stable again ;)
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:42 pm
Aye, even the Kdenlive development versions are most of the time stable for me and I just did a new Kdenlive project with 8 minutes of video and audio footage (and some transitions, too!) on git master. And I'm even on ffmpeg 3 and "bloody" MLT git master too... If this is unstable, I'm almost happy with it... >:D
Raichu
Registered Member

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:06 am
I just try to work around the bugs. There are often multiple ways to do something, so you need to think outside the box sometimes. Yes it does need some patience. I've made some pretty cool stuff (IMHO) even though it may have crashed fifty or a hundred times in the process. I save often and keep backup versions of files (which I would do even if it doesn't crash).
eezacque
Registered Member

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:12 am
I just managed to complete 20mins of video, using kdenlive, and I think I spent 20% of my time dealing with bugs. Especially by the end of the project, kdenlive crashed continuously, like a few times per minute. Add to this the fact that the manual needs serious work, and I cannot recommend kdenlive for anything serious.
zekthedeadcow
Registered Member

Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 pm
just as an fyi - personally the only time I have extensive crashing in recent kdenlive is while loading clips to the timeline. (like after 2 or 3 clips) I found a workaround with - load a clip then move the playhead to somewhere in that clip - repeat. Tedious yeah but I haven't crashed since.
kalimerox
Registered Member

Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:41 pm
@TheDiveO

maybe that does the trick, using mlt git latest version..

What OS are you running?
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:09 pm
kalimerox, I'm using Kubuntu 15.10 as this seems to be the most KDE-friendly distro. Instead of compiling everything yourself, you may want to try the kdenlive ppa(s), as Vincent pointed out here: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kdenlive ... 08954.html -- this is the ppa page of the Kdenlive team: https://launchpad.net/~kdenlive
Inapickle
Registered Member

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:40 pm

Last edited by Inapickle on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kalimerox
Registered Member

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:11 am
thank you @TheDiveO

I m running arch/manjaro right now but it s not too stable, so for the next project i guess I ll install a kubuntu partition....
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:31 pm
Maybe you may try a Vm-based install first to see if things work out as anticipated.
ebhoward
Registered Member

Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:29 pm
Hey,
I am brand new to this forum, and pretty new to open source computing. I've been using Kdenlive 0.9.6 with Ubuntu 14.04 (Unity) for nearly a year. I'm not a computer developer -- just an online professor using open source software to produce video lectures. I like Kdenlive so far. All the options I need, but not too fancy. I'm getting ready to develop a new class and I think I would like to use a newer and more reliable version of Kdenlive (perhaps 15.04). Yet it appears that this will require installation of a newer (and perhaps less reliable?) version of Ubuntu. Perhaps I ought to think about installing Kubuntu 15.04 complete with KDE Plasma 5. But will this compromise the rest of my computing activities (Libre Office, Firefox, Banshee, Gimp, VLC, Kazam)? Or perhaps I should just load Ubuntu 15.04 and add KDE/Plasma on the top? Comments and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Evan
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:45 am
Do not use Kdenlive 15.04 as this was an early KF5-based release. I would suggest going for Kdenlive 15.12.1 or 15.12.2.