This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

FFMPEG Cineform decoder

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Inapickle
Registered Member

FFMPEG Cineform decoder

Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:03 pm
Some good news, for GoPro users especially. FFMPEG now has an open Cineform decoder:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-so ... ost1912728

Some prospect then for importing Cineform files into KDenLive ?
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Re: FFMPEG Cineform decoder

Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:40 pm
Temperatures in Hell seem to fall these days... but then I understand the thread linked to clearly outlines that GoPro wasn't helpful in any way. The thread starts in 2011 and only now in 2016 someone finally puts the missing pieces together with a lot of his own research work.

Do you think Cinewhat is really useful as an intermediate storage format? Except when you have to swallow it because you're only part of the whole workchain?

As for import my understanding is that when these ffmpeg updates finally trickle down to the distro packages, Kdenlive would be able to import it. For export we would need (just?) a new render profile xml, or am I wrong here?
Inapickle
Registered Member

Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:40 am
TheDiveO wrote:Temperatures in Hell seem to fall these days... but then I understand the thread linked to clearly outlines that GoPro wasn't helpful in any way. The thread starts in 2011 and only now in 2016 someone finally puts the missing pieces together with a lot of his own research work.

Yes, it's been a long time coming.

TheDiveO wrote:Do you think Cinewhat is really useful as an intermediate storage format? Except when you have to swallow it because you're only part of the whole workchain?

Cine What ? Must be another mobile app ;)

But to answer that question adequately would require a rather more intensive review of the relative merits of different intermediate video formats in the Windows and Mac environments than is justified here. And I could only express an opinion based on my own experience with Cineform in the Windows environment anyway.

As to what benefits this brings to to Linux. Well, it provides scope for importing Cineform intermediate files generated by Windows and Mac based applications, when that is desirable. Nothing more than that.

TheDiveO wrote: For export we would need (just?) a new render profile xml, or am I wrong here?

It's decoder only, and so it's only value is for import.

Anyhow, this was just to let people know that there is now that capability.
TheDiveO
Registered Member
OS

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:31 am
Thanks Inapickle, your answers clear up the picture for me that Cineform support is for import only when interfacing with those who use it as intermediary.