This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive proxy clip workflow.

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
GilD
Registered Member

Kdenlive proxy clip workflow.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:22 am
I've found a post about working with proxy clips that suggested just setting the entire project to the proxy clip format you want -- so if your original video is shot in HDV, you could set the project up with a lower format like VGA or DV, check "use proxy clips in the settings," and assemble your project.
Then at render time, render the project at any format level up to the original level of your video clips. I've tried a sample of HDV clips I shot and this seems to work.
The information I read said don't apply color correction, extensive keyframing or get too deep into titling while working with proxy clips. So my question is when can you color correct and do the other effects mentioned? It would be easier to apply the color correction, etc, to the clips on the timeline than to a rendered piece of full-resolution video, where you have to hunt for the different scenes that require color correction, etc...

Thanks for the help.
kalimerox
Registered Member

Re: Kdenlive proxy clip workflow.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:51 pm
hi there,

you can apply any kind of color correction to original clips, to the timeline or just to the video snippet/ region in the timeline. just drag and drop the effect, for example bezier curves on the clip, the timeline etc...

here is a great tutorial which also deals with workflow questions

https://opensource.com/life/11/11/kdenl ... correction
GilD
Registered Member

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:22 pm
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure if your answer helps me with proxy clips.
I do video production work for my day job. I've been working with Final Cut Pro for several years. I don't use proxy clips in this work. I'm used to applying color correction, effects, keyframing, and titles to the original clips. In this case, I can see the result of each effect I add to a clip on the timeline.
But the article I read said that when using proxy clips, it's not helpful to color correct them because they are low-res and you can't see the result. The article writer also said they didn't like getting in-depth with other effects because they felt it's possible the placement of effects on the timeline could change once the proxy sequence was rendered to a different resolution.
These concerns seemed sensible to me. Therefore, doing color correction and other effects on the original clips doesn't seem like it will help me if I'm editing with proxy clips.
Is there a step I'm missing? Once I've finished the proxy sequence, can I convert it to a higher-resolution sequence, then add effects to the clips on the timeline?

Thanks.
kalimerox
Registered Member
well, I dont get exactly your problem with the proxy clips. If you choose a relatively high res on proxy clips (like .h264 with 720p) you can preview pretty exactly how your applied effects will look, and in case you need the full res you can just right click on the clip --> uncheck the proxy button and see your original clip with all the effects applied. but sure if you apply a lot of color grading and u dont have a superfast computer and you want to see everything in motion you should test-render the range to check the final result... hope this helped...
GilD
Registered Member

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:13 pm
Yes, that helps. I don't know any of the in's and out's of kdenlive. It helps to know how to replace a proxy clip to evaluate an effect. After checking the full res clip, can I re-select proxy clip?
kalimerox
Registered Member

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:56 am
yes, thats actually a great feature, you can jump back and forth and compare the effects on the proxy with the full res, just by toggling the proxy button of your clip..,,

when u re in the timeline on your region right click-->show clip in project tree shows you from which clip the snippet is coming , and the clip you can switch on /( off the proxy..