This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Quality of render poor

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gkennedy
Registered Member

Quality of render poor

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:01 am
I've been using Kdenlive for years and love it! I recently had to reinstall Ubuntu along with Kdenlive. I did a little test edit of a project and when I rendered it the quality was very poor. It almost looks like a 480 YouTube video. The original files are mp4 1080p at 24fps. I noticed that the rendering options are now I bit different. I selected MP4 H.264/AAc (CBR) and put the video bitrate to 8000 (which seems lower than it used to be). What settings do I have wrong? Thanks!

edit: I should also say that I installed the new Ubuntu 16.
Stetsbequem
Registered Member
OS

Re: Quality of render poor

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:50 pm
It depends on the picture, from the recording/production. If the picture is smooth it takes less bps, is it grainy it needs more bps.

Example with CRF:
THG: Catching Fire (2013): crf 19, Bit rate:    5.1 Mbps
American Hustle (2013):      crf 19, Bit rate: 14.6 Mbps

Either CRF or you have to play with the bit rate, until you like it.

The Social Credit System is a credit rating and blacklist being developed by the the ruling Chinese Communist Party. The goal is total control of the population by awarding points for desirable behavior, or withdrawing them for negative behavior.
gkennedy
Registered Member

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:50 pm
Stetsbequem wrote:It depends on the picture, from the recording/production. If the picture is smooth it takes less bps, is it grainy it needs more bps.

Example with CRF:
THG: Catching Fire (2013): crf 19, Bit rate:    5.1 Mbps
American Hustle (2013):      crf 19, Bit rate: 14.6 Mbps

Either CRF or you have to play with the bit rate, until you like it.

I decided to go ahead and over write the newest Ubuntu with Ubuntu Studio to see if maybe there were pre-paked things in it and I'm still having the same issues. I've edited over a dozen videos in the past with no problems until this upgrade.
gkennedy
Registered Member

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:40 pm
I still haven't found a resolution to this.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:39 pm
Hello,
CBR settings are not exposed anymore for more than a year, because good settings are so dependent on frame rate, resolution...
Please use a stock VBR setting, testing with different quality slider positions.
gkennedy
Registered Member

Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:28 pm
vpinon wrote:Hello,
CBR settings are not exposed anymore for more than a year, because good settings are so dependent on frame rate, resolution...
Please use a stock VBR setting, testing with different quality slider positions.

How do I do all that you just listed?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:04 pm
What do you see in render widget?
Don't you have a list of formats with, eg, "MP4 - the dominating format (H264/AAC)"
And below that a "Quality" slider...
I don't understand what is not clear (are you in Kdenlive>15.08)?
gkennedy
Registered Member

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:37 am
Well after trying every MP4 output and uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times I think I found the problem. It was something with the project file itself. I started a new project and now its rending out just fine. I have to go back and re edit but if that's what it takes I'm fine with it. Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply.
Dets
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:37 am
I had the same problems when using proxy files. So when I finished editing, I delete the proxy files in the project settings an the render quality becomes much better.

greetz, Dets ...