This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

First frames of each video clip frozen -- since update...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
peteeyre
Registered Member
OS
Hi, I've been happily using Kdenlive for a couple of years but -- after updating to a more recent version (16.08.0) -- am now experiencing a never-before-experienced issue. Specifically, that the first ~7-15 frames in each clip is frozen. Both in the timeline and upon rendering.

To put it another way, say I have a 10-min. video that utilizes 10, one-minute video clips. The first handful frames of each of those 10 clips are frozen (though the audio plays without stutter).

Thoughts? Thanks so much for any input that'll help to resolve this issue.
peteeyre
Registered Member
OS
After perusing other similar issues posted here, to this forum, I found that one stated solution was to to enable proxies.

https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... roxy_clips

I found that by enabling proxies the video in the timeline played smoothly. However, the rendered video still included the frame freezing unless I also opted to have the render version use the proxies as well. When I did that however, the video quality is not as great. My desired export (slated to be uploaded to Youtube) is 1080p.

Is there something I can change -- an over-arching solution -- to obtain the hoped-for result?

I record on a Canon Vixia with the video at: 1440x1080, H.264, 30fps, 21312 kbps and the audio at: AC-3 (ATSC A/52), stereo, 48000 Hz sample, 256 kbps. I'm an open-the-program-and-go type of editor, with not much familiarity with codecs and transcribing and other such functionality, so any wisdom is appreciated. If you need any additional information to help make a suggestion please let me know.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
It seems FFMpeg/MLT don't like much the encoding from your camera.
Quite heavy but should work : try to transcode the videos, one solution is after importing in Kdenlive, right click on the source clip and you have transcode options : DNxHD is a safe choice but creates big files.
peteeyre
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for that suggestion vpinon. I'm giving that a try now.

Perhaps some of the issue I first noted is related to the discrepancy between the clip properties as given from the clip itself when right-clicked -- 1440x1080 30fps -- verses what Kdenlive notes when the clip is imported -- 1440x1080 59.94fps. I certainly don't see a 1440x1080 option within the project settings.