This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Synchronizing Markers with Soundtrack

Tags: audio, synchronize audio, synchronize audio, synchronize
(comma "," separated)
ewhac
Registered Member
OS
This has been annoying me for a long time. I would like to be able to create markers/guides that are synchronized to the soundtrack. The way I'd like to do this is to play the soundtrack in the clip monitor, and press '*' on the numeric keypad to drop a marker when I hear the sound hit I want. My problem is that the markers end up about four to five frames after where I want them to be.

This is actually quite easy to reproduce and observe:
  • Launch Audacity; generate a click track about 60 seconds long. The default settings should be fine (120Hz). Export as FLAC.
  • Launch Kdenlive. Add the click track as a clip.
  • In the clip monitor, start the clip playing.
  • Start tapping the '*' on the numeric keypad in sync with the audio pips to place markers in the clip.
  • Drag the clip to the timeline. Zoom in to see the audio thumbnail and the markers in relation to it.
On my machine (which is no slouch), the markers land about four to five frames after the actual audio pip.

One very ugly workaround for this is, instead of placing markers on the clip, to place guides on the timeline in the same manner, then drag the clip forward four frames.

I'm running Kdenlive 16.08.1, but this behavior has been around for ages. Any suggestions on what to fiddle with?
daniel712
Registered Member
Hi,
i have the exact same problem here...

Did you find any solution yet?

Thanks for help!
Merlimau
Registered Member
Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I assume this has to do with the MLT out of sync issue. It’s under investigation to solve for the upcoming refactoring version.
daniel712
Registered Member
Ok. Standing by... i am on the git version of kdenlive 19.03.70 with MLT 6.12.

I did some troubleshooting, trying to run it with Jack instead of Pulseaudio, no Help...

I installed a version of lightworks to test my system, no problems there...

Thanks for Help!
daniel712
Registered Member
Does NOBODY else have this problem??? I'm not able to work like this...

Thanks for all Help!