This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

jog/shuttle problem kdenlive 16.12.2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bardamubu
Registered Member
Hi !

i just wanted to tell that jog is completely messed up in new kdenlive versions: wheel and buttons don't work properly anymore, and the old trick "https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manual/Settings_Menu/Configure_Kdenlive#Jog_Shuttle" doesn't make anything, does anyone how to fix it ?

thx

Last edited by bardamubu on Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bardamubu
Registered Member
UP !

it seems i am not the only one concerned
https://forum.qt.io/topic/60914/how-to- ... t-device/6

does someone know more about the state of that bug ?

thx
bardamubu
Registered Member
Hi ! is there anyone up here ??? :)

i managed to get shuttle working but still i get some weird stuffs:
- mouse and jog conflicts, depends on which widget the mouse pointer is located
- i configured one action button of the jog to "define end zone" but, each time i use it, the zone gets one image shorter, which is pretty much embarrasing while cutting..

would anyone feel concerned by this issue ????
bardamubu
Registered Member
Hi !

jsut to say that the problems still occurs in kdenlive 16.12.2
bardamubu
Registered Member

jog/shuttle conflict with mouse

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm
xD !

i noticed something about the shortcut problem:
- shuttle is off in kdenlive config: many buttons and events of wheel send the same signal which make a horizontal slide in the timeline/monitor and so one..
- shuttle is on in kdenlive config: the left button of shuttle xpress keeps sending the same signal + the action you configured in shuttle configuration panel.

first solution: DO NOT USE THE LEFT BUTTON OF THE JOG
second solution: correct the bug, i can't help, but you have to tell me where to look ... ibus ? whatever, so far i don't know where to start. but i may be linked to the problem described above about conflicts between jog navigation and mouse navigation...
jphfilm
Registered Member
My setup: Kdenlive 16.0.2 on Ubuntu 16.04
It sounds like there may be several problems at once here, but I've found a solution at least one of them.
I had no problem getting my (Contour ShuttleXpress) jog/shuttle device working, following the instructions at https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... og_Shuttle
but it only worked properly if the mouse was in certain areas, because shuttle events were being interpreted both directly by Kdenlive, and then again by X as mouse events, which got passed to Kdenlive. So when the mouse was on the clip monitor, it seemed that every movement of the (central) jog wheel would be interpreted incorrectly as a mouse wheel scroll down event, so that backward spins were doubled and forward events immediately got cancelled out.
One solution to this, I discovered, is to disable X from interpreting mouse events from the Jog/Shuttle wheel, as described at http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... ix-under-x
This won't prevent Kdenlive from seeing the events, but it will stop the conflicting mouse events from making it to Kdenlive.

For me, that involves:
xinput --list (returns a list that shows the id of the ShuttleXpress, in my case 8)
xinput --list-props 8 (if you're interested)
xinput set-int-prop 8 "Device Enabled" 8 0 (the second 8 here is unrelated to the device id)

And magically, my jog/shuttle dial works perfectly regardless of my mouse location!
I still need to write a script to automate this, as it's necessary to repeat after every boot, but it finally makes my jog/shuttle dial useful again!
Lars
Registered Member
Thanks for your work....

just create a shell script from it:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
xinput disable `xinput --list | grep ShuttlePRO  | cut -d"=" -f2 | awk {'print $1'}`

I guess that I'll work if you include it in your .bashrc

Lars
linuxloon
Registered Member
Lars wrote:Thanks for your work....

just create a shell script from it:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
xinput disable `xinput --list | grep ShuttlePRO  | cut -d"=" -f2 | awk {'print $1'}`

I guess that I'll work if you include it in your .bashrc

Lars

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You ... my jog wheel works again !!!!!!

I added the line above to my .profile to get it to run on login.