This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cinema 4K Project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
brodie
Registered Member

Cinema 4K Project

Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:09 pm
I'm trying to set up a project for some material shot on a Panasonic GH4 in the Cinema 4k 24p mode. When I try to do this Kdenlive keeps reverting the project settings to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 rather than the DCI 4k 4096 x 2160 profile that I need. I just can't get the DCI profile to stick!
Any help or advice would be very welcome!
Also, assuming I can get this to work, will Kdenlive be able to generate proxy files of the correct aspect ratio for these files?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

B.
qubodup
Registered Member

Re: Cinema 4K Project

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:22 am
I can confirm this. When saving the project settings, instead of DCI, UHD gets applied. Video demo: https://youtu.be/jClGEqSFpKs

Unfortuntely the custom profile system appears broken in 16.08.1 so I don't see how to work around this.

Your best bet would be to report this at https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?bug_st ... t=kdenlive and if possible try using an older version of Kdenlive.

As for the proxy files: does anybody know the location of the proxy script files? If they still use a fixed aspect ratio, one could then change the resolution in them to adapt it.

EDIT: apparently while the profile settings say it's UHD, the project file actually saves DCI and rendering output produces DCI resolution (video: https://youtu.be/ZiMQGfFabXQ).

So just make a small test render in your project and see if the output is correct.
brodie
Registered Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:26 pm
Thank you very much for your very helpful reply!
I would confirm that I have found the same results as you, namely that it does export 4096 x 2160 even though it displays project settings for UHD (3840x2160).
I tried creating a proxy file also, which does alter the aspect ratio. If you then export from a timeline using the proxy file the resulting file is still 4096 x 2160 but you have black bars at each side of the image, just like the proxy file. This seems odd to me as I thought the render would always reference the original file rather than the proxy file?
Is there any way to adjust the settings for proxy files?

Many thanks for your help!

B.
qubodup
Registered Member

Re: Cinema 4K Project  Topic is solved

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:30 am
Regarding use of proxy files for rendering, according to following ticket there is a setting for that
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349449

Is it possible to change proxy files? Yes. Changing the numbers and restarting kdenlive should allow you to use whichever resolution/aspect ratio you want).

The file is data/encodingprofiles.rc in the source and in my installation it can be found in /usr/share/kdenlive/encodingprofiles.rc

The file contains:
Code: Select all
[proxy]
x264=-s 640x480 -g 5 -crf 25 -ab 128k -vcodec libx264 -acodec libvorbis -preset veryfast;mov
MPEG=-s 640x480 -g 5 -qscale 6 -ab 128k -vcodec mpeg2video -acodec mp2;mpg

So you just (sudo) change 640x480 to 512x270 for example and save the file and restart Kdenlive.

PS: you'll have to delete old proxy files probably. You can do this manually in ~/.cache/kdenlive/
brodie
Registered Member

Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:53 pm
OK I now have a working project! :)
In the project settings it still says it is UHD when it is in fact DCI, but I have made a new proxy profile and exported a new sample from the timeline which is the correct aspect ratio. I find the timeline runs best (on my modest laptop) in preview mode using MJPEG as the Preview Profile in Project Settings
Very many thanks for the excellent help and guidance!

B.