This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Custom Effects Save Place

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Thankmar
Registered Member

Custom Effects Save Place

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:23 pm
Hello there,

I had to reinstall Linux Mint (and did the update from 17.3 to 18) because I fiddled with the drivers, apparently screwed up Xorg and wasn't able to restore it (different story). After that Kdenlive didn't run smoothly - it did before - and crashed every two minutes at least.

After the reinstall I installed Kdenlive (at first glance a newer version, 15.12.3), opened my project, and because Kdenlive could not find my custom effects, it removed it all from the project :'( . I do have the xml-files of the effects, is it possible to reopen the project with all the custom effects in place if I put the files in a certain place?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Thankmar
Registered Member

Re: Custom Effects Save Place  Topic is solved

Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:38 am
So, I'm not sure if there was a change in the file structure of Kdenlive, Linux Mint or if this was just odd things on my machine, but I made the effects come back again.

I created a mock custom effect to find it and get the save location. Unfortunately, Nemo, the Linux Mint File manager could not find it. At first I thought that the effects now might be stored differently, that they are integrated in the project file and not a discrete file anymore or something (I do not know that much of how Linux works because I just got on board), but it turned out that the file search part of Nemo seems to be just not very good (or I do not know how to search properly). So I looked for an alternative, found Catfish which in turn found my pointer effect.

It seems that the effects files were formerly stored in /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kdenlive/effects. Now they are stored in /home/username/.local/share/kdenlive/effects. Just put my effects in there, reopened my project and got my effects back.

Again, I really don't know if this is common knowledge for more experienced users or something, or maybe was more of a Mint problem because I do not know my way around Linux and its different distros and programs. But I thought I leave it here if some poor soul has the same problem.