This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to get video to fill the Project Monitor screen?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jivid
Registered Member
I'm sorry if this has an obvious answer, but I just started using Kdenlive and I just can't figure out what's wrong.

When I play a clip in Clip Monitor view, I see the entire clip when I hit the play button. But when I add a clip to the bottom panel and play it in the Project Monitor tab, it uses less than a quarter of the screen, leaving the rest of it black.

The video was recorded on a GoPro in 1080 resolution, and I've set the project to 29.97fps.

I've also tried to render a video, but when I play them I see only a black screen while I still hear the audio.

I'm using Archlinux which was updated yesterday.

I took some screenshots of the problem and posted it here: http://imgur.com/a/S7pwF

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
woodsmoke
Registered Member
OS
Hey! I've got a GoPro Black myself! Annnnddd I scuba! :) My last dive was Joe's Tug in Key West last summer! :)

The situation MAY be that the GoPro just makes humongous big videos in terms of physical size on the screen.

I run them through Transmageddon and let the app resize the thing automagically.

It will then play "full screen" with something like VLC on my large screen t.v. and also an HP widescreen monitor.

It also plays the sound, in my case, blurble blurble because I scuba dive....IF the camera is in, or near, the bubble stream, water magnifies sound, but there's not THAT much sound underwater except ambient noise, but the processed video does play sound, so if you use the open back case on land it WILL have sound after processed.

And, more importantly for THIS discussion, it will also play on VLC on a windows computer at the college using the overhead "projector".

Don't know about KDEnlive though, it MAY Be that your app is trying to do you a favour by automagically trying to resize it for you and is overshooting the mark.

And, I do this conversion on a "hoss" of a computer, 6 core and 16 gig of RAM AMD with a Radeon 7570 card.

My previous machine just STRANGLED on the GoPro vids. :( strangled in terms of the conversion taking...hours... and filling the memory to where it just stopped.

This probably hasn't helped your particular situation much but it might provide some perspective.

woodsmoke
jivid
Registered Member
Yeah, the Gopro is fantastic for diving. This was my first time using it, and I was really impressed. Especially with a red filter on it to correct the colors underwater.

The issue I'm experiencing is specific to Kdenlive and not a resource issue. I'm able to play the videos in other clients, and even in the Kdenlive Clip Monitor. The problem is that the when the clips are in the timeline they inexplicably use only a part of the screen (in the Project Monitor), leaving the rest of it black. I'm still stumped.

Good luck with your future diving adventures!
capslock
Registered Member
OS
I can check your footage on my Arch installation with KDE if you can give me access to a short clip of your video.
farid
Registered Member
OS
@jivid it is because you have Multitrack view turned on. Just right click on the monitor and deselect it.

@jivid and @woodsmoke check out this blog for some diving and kdenlive adventures :)

https://thediveo-e.blogspot.com

woodsmoke
Registered Member
OS
TRES COOL!!!!

DRY SUIT!!!

So far above the financial capabilities of the poor ol' woodsmoker! :(

But...yes, I'll give it another look see! :)

wood......thankeeee....smoke