This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Which distro for stable kdenlive?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ZonOfThor
Registered Member

Which distro for stable kdenlive?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:10 am
I'm running into instability issues with latest kdenlive on both Lubuntu & Kubuntu - repeatedly crashing in a fresh project with 2 clips only and doing simple playback/browsing scrolling in clip/project monitor - the window simply vanishes and I have to open up again. Tried various changes in settings but all the same.

I want to install a vanilla Linux distro for kdenlive use only. Which distro would offer the best stability for kdenlive?

What essential settings parameters should I look into for maximum stability?

(Intel i7 (8 cores) / nVIDIA GTX560 / 8gb DDR3 )
subdiff
Registered Member
OS
KDE Neon User Edition:
http://files.kde.org/neon/images/neon-u ... n/current/

Should work directly without changing setting parameters.
ZonOfThor
Registered Member

Re: Which distro for stable kdenlive?

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:11 am
Thx will do.

Could you recommend best GPU for stability?
subdiff
Registered Member
OS

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:16 am
Do you have a choice? ;)

At the moment I would go for Intel integrated graphics or an AMD RX 470/480, because of their great open source driver infrastructures. If you use an AMD you should install the latest kernel though. But it's easy on Ubuntu based systems: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.7.5/
ZonOfThor
Registered Member

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:20 am
would RX 460 suffice?
subdiff
Registered Member
OS
ZonOfThor wrote:would RX 460 suffice?

Most important is CPU and enough RAM for video editing. Yes, it suffices.
ZonOfThor
Registered Member
I mean for stability as it seems much of kdenlive crashing is related to UI so I thought it might come down to GPU and drivers more than any other factor
subdiff
Registered Member
OS
ZonOfThor wrote:I mean for stability as it seems much of kdenlive crashing is related to UI so I thought it might come down to GPU and drivers more than any other factor

No, in general not. Just use the most recent version (for example via Neon) and the stability will increase massively.
ZonOfThor
Registered Member
Have been using Neon today and it's a totally different experience. Crash free 2 hours - thank you very much for that tip!
subdiff
Registered Member
OS
Great to hear! Yes, I'm very happy with Neon, too. By the way there is an active Neon Telegram group, if you need some help or want to chat (look on neon.kde.org for the link).
vylaern
Registered Member
Gentoo (stable) + KDE Plasma 5 (stable) + kdenlive, mlt, ffmpeg, frei0r (newest version) = works pretty well :D