This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kdenlive Fundrising 2016

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
vylaern
Registered Member

Kdenlive Fundrising 2016

Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:30 pm
Hi,

I use kdenlive for everyday work now. I would like few improvements and I think we should support our team again. I think with that we could polish many things sooner, so instead of spending money for mac + software, we could have our professional linux version.

What do you think? I am ready to pay now :)
farid
Registered Member
OS

Re: Kdenlive Fundrising 2016

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:28 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

The project currently has one active dev and one on leave, as well as some sporadic code contributions from community members here and there. Also a fundraiser requires a lot of dedication to manage and run and don't think the devs have energy/time for that.

Maybe it would be more interesting to put up a bounty for a desired feature or bug fix and hopefully someone picks it up. This requires practically 0 effort to manage and more people can contribute code to the project...

So what do you have in mind for the improvements? Are they new feature requests or bug fixes?

NB
(This are my views based on my understanding of the actual situation... maybe the devs end up agreeing with you and support this idea, but I doubt it.)

Best regards

vylaern
Registered Member

Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:10 am
Hi Farid,

In 2012 thanks to this: https://old.kdenlive.org/users/ttill/kd ... g-campaign
kadenlive had a huge step forward. In that time, I could finaly see automatic audio alignment, which MUST BE part of any professional video editing software. As a kdnlive user from 0.5 version (2007), I remember buggy and unstable time, I was even trying Cinelerra, but kdelive was more intuitive, but that time there were so many problems with everything.

In current time, if some developers has a family, they will have spend a time @work (to feed family) instead of voluntary work, but many of us, makes some money thanks to kdenlive, so we would like to support this project, so many people over all the world could use it for free. Last time I think it was about $7000, so I think someone could start this fund-rising. In current times, there is so many project through mass fund rising (and MUCH easier to manage), so in my opinion kdenlive could be successful. My firend started a fundrising campaing just in one hour for his bicycle journey through Europe. Maybe kdenlive user has any suggestion which website is the easiest one for Today with less bureaucracy? Maybe http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/

Here is an example, man had 3 months of unpaid job and asked for help. He received £26000 (about $39 000) - so as you could see everything is possible.
http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/salaryformarcus
^^ So try image, how many of unpaid months of work kdenlive developers provided for us and world community?

You said someone is leaving and I could see j-b-m is no1 developer:
https://github.com/KDE/kdenlive/graphs/contributors
could ask j-b-m if there is any support needed for him, please?

Or we could just start fundrising and see the results, and then developers could decider what could be done thanks to this money?

As you ask:
...what do you have in mind for the improvements? Are they new feature requests or bug fixes?

In my opinion, part for bugfixes & stabilization with KDE plasma 5, part for polishing current features, and part for new improvements (eg. color grading & color correction). Good example of this is DaVinci Resolve (is even linux version, but paid only), which generally had the same functions like other video-editing software, but for the bacis color-correction a bit different layout make this so popular now (circles instead of curves). In kdenlive we have LiftGamaGain, but with small difference, which makes DaVinci much easier to use >> it means kdenlive has everything from the engine side, but lack of layout for this function, to make color correction faster.

My idea is to have full working system for 3 different steps:
1. [Color Correction]
2. [Color Grading]
3. [Video Editing]
Kdenlive at the moment has everything, but we needs some improvements, to make those steps much faster for a person who is editing videos every day.
kalimerox
Registered Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:19 pm
I think this is a good idea, or something hybrid of this: like a bounty for features or bug crushing....
Crowd funding is indeed time consuming and u basically need at least one person who is doing nothing else but crowd funding. let that not be the developer , please !! :)

but something like a paypal button on the kdenlive page could generate some income at least for the main developer or could pay some new features maybe...
farid
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:05 pm
kalimerox wrote:I think this is a good idea, or something hybrid of this: like a bounty for features or bug crushing....
Crowd funding is indeed time consuming and u basically need at least one person who is doing nothing else but crowd funding. let that not be the developer , please !! :)

but something like a paypal button on the kdenlive page could generate some income at least for the main developer or could pay some new features maybe...

As I said bounties are probably a more pragmatic method to fund development.

Will check with the developers about the paypal button...

Cheers

vylaern
Registered Member

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:30 pm
farid wrote:Will check with the developers about the paypal button...

Keeping fingers crossed - we need to support our bug-fighters army! xD xD xD
farid
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:59 pm
I for one would be willing to cheap in a bounty to have LV2 support for MLT. This will be handy when we have the mixer.

I have shared this issue in the mailing list, maybe the devs can give their opinion as well. But as I said, this can be a community driven initiative so if you want anything just post a bounty and share the news.

Cheers

vylaern
Registered Member

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:23 am
farid wrote: bounty and share the news.

Farid, could you explain more about this bounty - how does it work?

BTW: Nice avatar, do you do music videos?
farid
Registered Member
OS

Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:58 pm
vylaern wrote:
farid wrote: bounty and share the news.

Farid, could you explain more about this bounty - how does it work?

BTW: Nice avatar, do you do music videos?

I've never done this but a little research wll show you that there is bountysource.com. So maybe go there and do your magic! :)

vylaern
Registered Member

Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:17 pm
farid wrote:I've never done this but a little research wll show you that there is bountysource.com. So maybe go there and do your magic! :)

Many thanks :) I am just reading it :)