This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to avoid "[mlt_pool] out of memory" error?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
makipaa
Registered Member
I keep getting [mlt_pool] out of memory that crashes the Kdenlive (16.08.2). I haven't found any consistent reason why it happens. Sometimes when adding a file. Sometimes when moving a transition. Sometimes when just re-entering to the app. It isn't a computer memory problem as Kdenlive never uses more than 30% of available memory.
makipaa
Registered Member
Could someone figure out what this is about? This is literally driving me nuts. I can't even play my project file, or small segment of it, without Kdenlive crashing.
oluja
Registered Member
Seems to be a conflict with some libaries. What about an clen install of your operating system?
farid
Registered Member
OS
makipaa wrote:I keep getting [mlt_pool] out of memory that crashes the Kdenlive (16.08.2). I haven't found any consistent reason why it happens. Sometimes when adding a file. Sometimes when moving a transition. Sometimes when just re-entering to the app. It isn't a computer memory problem as Kdenlive never uses more than 30% of available memory.

which os are you using?

vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Could you identify a particular file format or file size that causes the problem?
Note: video editing is memory hungry (a bit less with proxies), and if you run a 32bits OS you are limited in what a single app can use (2 or 4GB, something like this)
makipaa
Registered Member
I'm using Kubuntu 16.10 and 16.08.2 Kdenlive.

I can't find any consistent reason why it happens. I've tried removing files from project, removing effects, removing transitions, turning audio on/off, etc. Any tips on debuggin are also helpful. Atleast it is not "out of memory" as kdenlive and melt never use more than 30% (of 16 gigabytes) of ram. Though it could very well be more than the process memory limit. I'll see what proxy clips can do about it.
Project files are a mix of photos and GoPro videos (total of about 10 gigabytes, including extracted zones from some files).
makipaa
Registered Member
Using tiny proxies for both photos and videos has helped a lot. It takes a lot longer to get [mlt_pool] out of memory... I still haven't figured out a consistent reason for it.