This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to fix an audio sync issue?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
stevenlake
Registered Member
OS

How to fix an audio sync issue?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 am
Okay, quick and stupid question. When importing externally recorded audio tracks (ie, audacity via wireless mic, or tracks split from an existing video) I've noticed that, while the tracks start out synced to the video, as things continue down the timeline the audio slowly falls out of sync with the video by as much as 3-5 seconds either way by the end of a 20 minute clip. I'm not sure what's causing that. However, rather than figure that out, I'm wondering if there's a simple way to speed up or slow down either the audio track or the video track to help keep, or at least force the two to be in sync? I know you can speed up and slow down audio in Audacity, but trying to get the speed just right that way is too much of a pain, and so far I have not yet used it to successfully fix the sync issue. So I'm hoping for a bit more of a native solution within Kden if possible. Any suggestions? IE, is there a native filter, or perhaps a 3rd party plug that'll give me what I need?
stevenlake
Registered Member
OS

Re: How to fix an audio sync issue?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:32 am
Hmm, might have found a partial answer. Apparently if the sample rate isn't high or low enough then the track can become out of sync. Can anyone validate this?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Hello,
Can you try to use WAV format instead of VBR (compressed) codecs?
There used to have lots of messages from FFmpeg (libavcodec used by MLT actually) saying that seeking is imprecise in this case.
For me using WAV salved the issue.
I believe there has been a fix in MLT last month or so, but not tested again...
stevenlake
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm
Hmm, I hadn't thought to check for VBR. I'm using mostly MP3 and AAC, but I haven't tried Wave yet. I'll have to give that a spin.
stevenlake
Registered Member
OS

Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:11 am
Sorry for the slow reply. Been busy the last few days. Anyhow, believe it or not, your suggestion of using a wave file with consistent bit rate encoding worked. I haven't had video sync that precisely and keep its sync that long since probably I don't know when. But yeah, that totally solved the issue. THANK YOU!! :D