This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Converting FPS project

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bobjones
Registered Member

Converting FPS project

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:29 am
Hello everyone!

First time forum poster... I've got a question that hopefully someone can help me with.

I built a large project, but accidentally did so using the wrong video profile. Now, when I change the FPS in the video profile, all of the timecodes for the beginning and end of my clips in the timeline change so that the cuts are no longer correct. Is there any way for me to convert the video profile to the new FPS without having to recreate the entire project from scratch? Or am I stuck thanks to my own stupidity?
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Re: Converting FPS project

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:24 pm
You can try to create a new project with the correct FPS, import the current project (.kdenlive file) as a clip and drag it to the timeline and render.

Or, if that does not work, you render to lossless and then transcode to the destination codec and FPS.

Last edited by capslock on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobjones
Registered Member

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm
Thanks so much! I appreciate the help!

The import didn't work... just says that it's impossible to import a project with a different profile.

Trying the lossless render now...
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 pm
Yeah, that will do the trick, although the size might be huge.
bobjones
Registered Member

Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:45 pm
Seems like that's a miss too... the lossless video is still at the profile framerate...

I should mention the profile is at 25 and I'm trying to go to 29.97.
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:22 am
Yeah, the lossless video has still the wrong framerate, but you can transcode the lossless video to any target framerate and usable filesize (e.g. h.264 codec) in a second step. There are lots of tool for transcoding like ffmpeg or handbrake.
bobjones
Registered Member

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:28 am
That will certainly work to produce a video with the correct framerate, but the new "source" will still be 25 fps, so there will still be frame loss from the original video, which is less than ideal.

Thanks so much for the help... but it looks like I'm going to be stuck recreating the video clip by clip... I'll chalk it up a lesson learned.
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:52 am
Oh, yes... Sorry, I missed the point that you accidently used 25 fps and need 29.97. So, rendering drops frames and then going back to 29.97 is far away from "nice"...