This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Invalid clips - Windows doesn't recognize ffmpeg

Tags: ffmpeg, windows, bin folder, invalid clip ffmpeg, windows, bin folder, invalid clip ffmpeg, windows, bin folder, invalid clip
(comma "," separated)
Isias83
Registered Member
OS
Using KDEnlive Version: 16.12.1 (x64 build)
On OS: Windows 10 Professional (x64 build)
Pc specs: Core I7, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia 1080

Hi,

sadly i don't have a linux pc anymore and kdenlive was my favourite piece of video editing, so i'm super glad to be able to use it on Windows now. While trying to start importing video files as clips, i recognized my installation of KDEnlive can neither import x264 videos in a *.mp4 or *.mov or a *.wmv container, nor can it open *.mts streams. Basicly, it can't open any video related file types. I must have done something wrong preventing MLT or ffmpeg to be recognized correctly, but i'm kinda stuck right now. Here's my installation way:

After downloading Kdenlive-16.12.1-w64.zip and ffmpeg-3.2.2-win64-shared.zip i extracted both *.zip files and placed the "bin" and "presets" folders of ffmpeg into the kdenlive-windows folder. Afterwards, i moved the kdenlive-windows to C:\ProgramFiles.

If i try to import a clip either by selecting it via "Project" -> "Add Clip" or via drag & drop it into the Project List on the left side i get the error message "Invalid Clip - Clip is invalid, will be removed from project"

I suppose this to happen because KDEnlive doesn't recognize FFMPEG and MLT, at least that's what's getting displayed when i click on "Setup Wizard".

So i verifyed the enviroment is set up correctly. But the specified paths seem to be correct:

Can somebody please tell me what i'm doing wrong?

And i can't find the option where to specify the path to my present vlc and dvdauthor installation in the menu?

Besides that, KDEnlive doesn't really seem to be really closed on Windows. In fact, it runs in multiple instances after the programm gets closed and never gets really "shut down".

Since the installation instructions point out that kdenlive needs to be restarted, maybe this is the point why i'm getting this kind of error? I tried to "kill" the task with the task manager but the problem still persists.

Last edited by Isias83 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Inapickle
Registered Member
Isias83 wrote:After downloading Kdenlive-16.12.1-w64.zip and ffmpeg-3.2.2-win64-shared.zip i extracted both *.zip files and placed the "bin" and "presets" folders of ffmpeg into the kdenlive-windows folder. Afterwards, i moved the kdenlive-windows to C:\ProgramFiles.

I think you need to "Copy the content of the FFmpeg “bin” subfolder (.dll and .exe files) inside kdenlive-windows folder", as per the installation instructions, not just place the "bin" folder in the kdenlive-windows folder. Have you tried that?

https://kdenlive.org/download/

Isias83 wrote:Since the installation instructions point out that kdenlive needs to be restarted, maybe this is the point why i'm getting this kind of error? I tried to "kill" the task with the task manager but the problem still persists.

I brought up this issue also, but I don't think it's the cause of your problem:

viewtopic.php?f=269&t=138459
Isias83
Registered Member
OS
I think you need to "Copy the content of the FFmpeg “bin” subfolder (.dll and .exe files) inside kdenlive-windows folder", as per the installation instructions, not just place the "bin" folder in the kdenlive-windows folder. Have you tried that?

Problem solved. I misread that one. I didn't copy the content of the "bin" folder of ffmpeg into the root folder of my kdenlive installation. The only thing i stil wonder is why it doesn't get recognized if i manually specify the folder path in the enviroment folder. But so far, my problem is solved. Thank you!
Inapickle
Registered Member
You're most welcome. :)

I'll file a bug report though for this issue with kdenlive.exe staying active after quitting. What makes even more annoying is that each time you open and quit Kdenlive it leaves a new instance of kdenlive.exe active, so you have to go into Task Manager and kill each one.
mindplay
Registered Member
I got the installation right - I don't get those warnings when I launch.

I can't open any MP4 video though.

Clips show up in the "Add Clip" dialog and I select them - then the following message appears:

Why didn't this fix the problem for me?

I downloaded this:

https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win64 ... shared.zip

And this:

http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/kde-applicati ... .1-w64.zip

I put the files from "bin" in the kdenlive root folder, along with a copy of the "presets" folder, as per the instructions on the download page.

These MP4s can play back even in the standard Windows Media player, which is usually pretty picky, so....

I'm on Win10 Pro 64-bit.
mindplay
Registered Member
Okay, really weird.

I tried the "Transcode Clips" function, picked the exact same MP4 clip I was trying before, and tried to convert it to MKV.

I once again got that same "invalid clip" dialog box from before - but I then discovered that the MKV file *had* been created, despite the error message?!

I tried to add the converted MKV as a clip, and that *still* didn't work.

I finally closed the app, but eventually tried to give it another shot, and for some reason, now it opens everything without problems!

Note that I completed the installation steps correctly, per the directions on the download page, the first time - so it appears what's happening here, is the *first* time you launch Kdenlive, it doesn't work, even if it's correctly installed.

Best guess, the app is doing some kind of internal configuration the first time it sees the ffmpeg binaries - but it needs this information to actually work correctly, and doesn't have that information in place until you launch the app for the second time? Seems like the likely explanation.

Looks like a bug.
mindplay
Registered Member
To anyone else running into this, I can confirm that this is a bug - I have filed a bug-report.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=379007

The simple work-around is to simply close the application and launch it again after initial installation.
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
clips with unicode chars in path were not recognized by MLT on Windows, just fixed upstream.
a new build is available (including a light FFmpeg without x264/x265 encoders for legal purpose):
https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 0-2-w64.7z
TheQult
Registered Member
Had the same problem.
You can fix it the menu.

Settings -> Configure Kdenlive -> Misc -> Bypass codec verification
Inapickle
Registered Member
BTW - when are we going to see an update release of the Windows version ?
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS
Actually I have built 17.04.0:
https://files.kde.org/kdenlive/release/ ... 0-2-w64.7z
But never wrote an announcement :(

It includes latest MLT, fixing this annoying bug on Windows: files with unicode char in path flagged as invalid!

I also included an FFmpeg version without h264/265 encoders
(patents are the reason why we avoid to distribute codecs).
So it now works out of the box, except MP4 export (promote webm instead)!
Inapickle
Registered Member
OK thanks. I promptly overwrote with the latest Zeranoe shared build to get back the h264/h265 encoders ;)
Still that bug with kdenlive.exe staying active after quitting the program though:
https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=269&t=138459&p=370568&hilit=windows+kdenlive+task+manager#p370318
nejcc
Registered Member
I have sort of same problem I can not solve. I installed kdenlive correctly and it worked well for few days. Then I accidentally modified something I don't know and now it won't load new clips anymore. Usually nothing happens, sometimes it throws an error "clip is invalid..," sometimes I am able to add a clip to the timeline, but the preview playback performance is bad and If I save it to library I can't use it again.
If I add a clip to the library by drag and drop I can't even play it. If I try to drag it to the timeline it will not allow me to drop it there (red sign at the mouse pointer). I beleive there is something wrong with codecs, maybe windows blocked something.
I also tried removing and reinstalling kdenlive and ffmpeg without success. Does anyone have an idea what else can I try?
vishalbiswas
Registered Member

Solution for Kdenlive 17.12

Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:37 am
Use FFmpeg 3.3.4 win64 shared
Then follow the steps from download page to replace the files.

The issue was that Kdenlive 17.12 was compiled with a previous ffmpeg version which has avcodec-57.dll, etc. And newer ffmpeg versions have increment these files to avcodec-58.dll, so kdenlive was still using the old dll files shipped by default which weren't replaced.

Sidenote: If you replaced the dll files with ones from ffpmpeg 3.4 shared, the renderer will instantly crash.
pseco
Registered Member
For Kdenlive-17.12.0-w64.7z use the recommended ffmpeg-20171217-387ee1d-win64-shared.zip instead of ffmpeg-latest-win64-shared.zip