This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

playback slow when several clips are in timeline - proxy act

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
herrdeh
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm trying to edit a 1920x1080 video.
When playing back, things are nice, if only one video clip (eg at video track 4) is in the timeline. If a second comes in (eg in video track 3), which is not visible at that time, playback is stuttering, if a third comes in (at video2), things are going worse.
If only one clip is at video track 3 or 1 - no problems.

I activated "proxy clips", but in the project bin the menu issues are grayed out, so I cannot select them.

My system:
ubuntu 16.10
gnome desktop
4GB RAM
2x3GHz core duo
kdenlive 16.04.3

What can I do?

Cheers,
Wolf
farid
Registered Member
OS
You have an relatively old computer so it wont be able to handle various FullHD clips playing in realtime, so using proxies is the best approach as you thought. You need to activate the proxy clips by going to Setting -> Configure Kdenlive and there in the Project Defaults enable Proxy clips. Then you will be able to right click in the bin and make the proxies. Also use the latest Kdenlive which is 16.12.1 from our official PPA's.

herrdeh
Registered Member
Hello, thanks for your reply.

Upgraded to 16.12.1. No visible change.

Yes, I already activated proxy clips in settings. Still the proxy clip menu entry is grayed out. Here is a screen of my settings: https://owncloud.trolink.de/index.php/s/UpqGlhElAqR4Zm1

Apart from that:
This behaviour more appears to me like a bug. The machine should play just one clip (the top one) and ignore the other ones.
But what it actually does is to read 2 or more clips at a time and dismiss data from all but the first one; I dont think that's really efficient.

When I disable playback of the not visible tracks, there is no stuttering. Which seems to support my theory.
(Please apologize if there is an advantage (which I cannot see) of simultaneously reading all the tracks, allthough they are not displayed.)

Cheers,
Wolf
farid
Registered Member
OS
Try starting from a clean project, enable the proxy, import the files and try to encode them to a proxy. If that doesn't work then file a bug report, bug I am working with proxies fine from here.

Also try to set the track compositing to preview instead of high quality, that will speed things up considerably.

herrdeh
Registered Member
Right. Thanks.
Within a new project, actually playback is fine. Not with my work in process.
First, I had to activate the new timeline toolbar:

Code: Select all
rm .local/share/kxmlgui5/kdenlive/kdenliveui.rc

But this does not improve anything - playback seems to get worse any new opening of kdenlive.
What may be the reason? - Is there a possibility to clear and rebuild cache files of something like that? - Or could my .kdenlive file be repaired? (text editor does not show any garbarge bthw)
(It would be horror to lose all the hours of editing which are in my present project... :-\ )

Wolf
farid
Registered Member
OS
As
I said earlier, your files are too heavy for your cpu to handle them and run smoothly. You can use proxy files and disable the high quality compositing rendering. That is what I can say, maybe someone else can help out here...

manuelmuzzurru
Registered Member
OS
hi

i have same this issue "annoying" + "bothering"
i did to disable the high quality compositing rendering.
PLUS i actived "MLT_PIXBUF_PRODUCER_CACHE=10 kdenlive &" this is for (preview render in timeline with monitor project, this is WORKED AS PERFECT)
...but for not-preview-render...so result same slow... :-\

curiosity: what is problem from?....from timeline? or from MLT? or from missed feature engine? from Qt? from openGL? or beneficent to use GLSL..(not know, i try to ask.. ??? )..?

then if this topic is true important for all features..then needed to CARE this important..(re-work this resolve..)
because this is true job for editing video..as is fundamental for job..right?

my workstation (work job)
dual cpu: xeon e5 v3 (24cores)
ram:32GB with ECC
GPU nvidia gtx970
linux:opensuse 42.2 64bit
herrdeh
Registered Member
I'm still suffering from this problem, and it's a pity that I cannot activate proxy files, as the buttons are grayed out.

Here is my .kdenlive file:
https://owncloud.trolink.de/index.php/s/vignTQcp3GKMctL
- maybe somebody can find something in it. Or is there a way to import the contents into a new one, or apply some testing or repair routine?

Grüße,
Wolf
manuelmuzzurru
Registered Member
OS
hi

i'm back here, i want to tell here information:

reproduce problem simple:
add clip video1 and clip video2 in timeline track1, track2, and add effect: [transform]-[crop,sale ant tilt]
crop for cut area like as example: 2 windows (breaknews news) result playback is slow, but i did used proxy for 2 clips.. result same.. so i think problem to MLT engine or kdenlive..
because i did testing to LIGHTWORKS on linux works as perfect but lightworks used 100000% to GPU realtime for view, (not for render), lightworks has preview render in timeline but i dont use preview render in timeline of lightoworks, this mean need change the way go to add feature GPU realtime playback, timeline without to use cpu and ram, because kdenlive has not correct worked + my hardware is powerfully, so is not problem from my hardware..is from kdenlive (or MLT engine missed support..i dont know).. so i tell here information ok?

but is there the report bug?
farid
Registered Member
OS
herrdeh wrote:I'm still suffering from this problem, and it's a pity that I cannot activate proxy files, as the buttons are grayed out.

Here is my .kdenlive file:
https://owncloud.trolink.de/index.php/s/vignTQcp3GKMctL
- maybe somebody can find something in it. Or is there a way to import the contents into a new one, or apply some testing or repair routine?

Grüße,
Wolf

There are 2 places for you to enable proxies.

In the main menu bar go to Project -> Projects Settings and under the Settings tab you will be able to enable the Proxy clips.

The other is in Configure -> Configure Kdenlive and you can enable under the Project Defaults tab.

Please check it is enabled in both and let me know.

herrdeh
Registered Member
Please apologize my late reply, now I'm back.

Your answer was correct - I only enabled "proxy clips" in the global settings, not in the project related ones. Changing the project related settings made it possible to create proxy clips, this improved the playback tremendously.

Thank you very much for this hint - highly appreciated.

Nevertheless - I still cannot understand why kdenlive seems always to read and decode all available clips in the timeline, and not only the visible ones. Wouldn't it be more effective if only visible clips would be handled?

Just my 2cts.

Cheers,
Wolf
alcinos
Registered Member
herrdeh wrote:Nevertheless - I still cannot understand why kdenlive seems always to read and decode all available clips in the timeline, and not only the visible ones. Wouldn't it be more effective if only visible clips would be handled?

This is actually not as simple as you seem to be imply. First, if there is audio in boths clips, this has to be rendered. In the case of video only clips, we must make sure that there is no transparency going on in the topmost clip, during the whole duration of the superposition. This is not trivial because transparency can come from various sources: effects, footage… Special care would have to be taken for transitions too.

May I ask in what sort of scenario you have to stack several video clips, without using the video of the bottom ones ?
herrdeh
Registered Member
May I ask in what sort of scenario you have to stack several video clips, without using the video of the bottom ones ?

Hm. I may have misunderstood the whole procedure of editing - but in my timeline mostly several clips appear overlapping, are shifted back and forward till the whole thing is fine. As these things are timing sensitive, a good playback is essential.

So to me it seems to be the normal situation that I'm having several streams at the same time.