This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

SOLVED - How do I delete the user config / layout?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gbryan
Registered Member
I posted this in another area and was told to post it here.

I'm using Linux mint 18.1(?) and Kdenlive 16.12(?)

I pushed a few wrong buttons and it closed the project monitor. I finally figured out how to put that back in the window.

Now the tracks are tiny, and I've tried to adjust that by pressing the button, which made them a little bigger, but still not usable.

Worst is that when I try to speed up a video it does not show me what effect I can change, it only says that there's (suddenly) "already an effect added to that clip." Even when I tried to start a fresh project w/ fresh clip-it does the same thing!

Attempted Fixes:

I've deleted Kdenlive several times and reinstalled, tried to wipe the config file, even from terminal window... Nope...

Tried uninstalling by clicking uninstall program.

tried the "purge" command listed under the download commands on Kdenlive website--surprise; it says command not recognized, or some such B.S.

Tried to reset to default through the kdenlive gui itself... this only made the tracks tiny...

tried everything I found through google and on forums.

Tried to delete every file I could find with "kdenlive" attached to it. it only told me "permission denied."
I logged in as superuser/in terminal as super user... Nothing... -either says permission denied or file not found...

This is driving me insane. I've been trying other editors, and looking at tons of forum posts which have not solved my problem. I've wasted 2 solid days trying to fix this and I think the only option left is to wipe the O.S.

I'm surprised that with as many peoples posts as I have read about this that it has not been posted in the FAQ's and a real, effective, simple solution programmed into this d### thing! (Granted adobes premiere pro and photoshop have the same d### issue!)

BTW: Not sure if this is in the correct area, if not, feel free to move it.

SOMEONE RESPONDED: 1. Installing or removing Linux packages in /usr never touches any configuration files in your /home directory, so please do not try to solve problems in a way you need to do in Windows.

2. kdenlive stores its UI configuration in ~/.config/kdenliverc and additional information in folder .local/share/kdenlive/

3. If you could not solve your issues by deleting the UI configuration, please ask for help in the kdenlive forum at viewforum.php?f=262

I RESPONDED: Ive tried those commands, that is: searching for those folders(am I doing this right??? am I supposed to go through terminal and use "purge" command???), Ive tried showing hidden files, and I havent even been able to find those files.

I do appreciate your input. So are you saying that I should post in the "general" section? Is there a specific thread?

So, can anyone please tell me; Am I searching the wrong way??? WTF am I doing wrong???
gbryan
Registered Member
So, I see an XML document. It wont let me post a picture here for some reason.

Under: /usr/share/config.kcfg
File name: kdenlivesettings.kcfg

This file/document hasn't been edited since feb 5th. and I messed up Kdenlive on the 14th(?). So I suspect that this is not the file I need to find. But, again; I can not find any file listed under the previously suggested folders/names.

I found another file.

/var/lib/dpkg/info

Filename: kdenlive-data.conffiles

It's a plain text doc, and again it shows a date modified of feb 5th. And I messed up kdenlive on feb 14th(?)

If someone could tell me if these are the files that need deleting I'd appreciate it!
capslock
Registered Member
OS
1. Close kdenlive.

2. To delete your kdenlive UI settings execute
Code: Select all
rm ~/.config/kdenliverc

3. Start kdenlive
gbryan
Registered Member
Thank you so much for responding. I've entered that before and just did again. It is telling me "no such file or directory."

This is on a Linux Mint so that may change the command. It automatically enters a prefix of /home/ me .config/kdenliverc
gbryan
Registered Member
Holy S### I think I did it!!!

I deleted the file: /usr/share/config.kcfg
under File name: kdenlivesettings.kcfg

I think that is the one that did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time for a happy dance! Anyone got an emoji for that?!?! :P
gbryan
Registered Member
One more thing: I haven't checked to see if it fixed this, but, on one of my projects i put a title text(?) And it was fine, it would show the text over the video image that was playing, then all of a sudden after like the tenth text over screen I added, it decides to just show a black screen behind the text! Even on the first 7 that worked fine, they just decided to all go black. So I rendered the video and it came out with a black screen with text on it, instead of the way it should--with text over video.

I'm hoping that this issue was caused solely by insufficient ram(4gb). If not caused by a lack of ram, I hope this issue was fixed by me FINALLY deleting the correct file.
gbryan
Registered Member
If a Moderator would be so kind: Please add (Solved) to the end of the title of this thread.
toad
Global Moderator
OS
Glad you got it sorted!

Re SOLVED: You can do it yourself by editing the subject line of your first post - just add SOLVED :)

Debian testing
fkl
Registered Member
I registered to this forum just so that I could express the same frustration that I share with the OP: "Driving me crazy!!!"
I don't remember exactly what I did, but the "Properties" pane somehow got repositioned and ended up under the tracks/timeline and there was nothing I could do in the GUI that would allow me to change the layout. I can verify that by deleting ~/.config/kdenliverc restored the factory layout.
ferdous
Registered Member
step1.
$ sudo rm ~/.config/kdenliverc

step2.
starting kdenlive, closing it, starting kdenlive again.

so far this worked for me in Linux mint. Thank you