This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

color picker for colour grading

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mussol
Registered Member

color picker for colour grading

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 pm
hi,

when using tools like Lift/Gamma/Gain for corrections I miss a colour picker so I can know exactly the RGB values of an specific area. Is there any tool I'm missing to get this feature?

I'm trying to achieve something silimar to this video (min 5): https://www.lynda.com/DaVinci-Resolve-t ... 836-4.html

thanks in advance
Inapickle
Registered Member

Re: color picker for colour grading

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:01 pm
There are a couple of Effects with a colour picker/dropper that you could use to get your RGB values.

Alpha Manipulation > Color Selection or Key Spill Mop Up (Key Color) or Colour> Chroma Hold

Use the picker/dropper ('drip' icon) to pick the colour off the screen - then click on the colour bar to open up the colour palette which will reveal the RGB and HSV values for the selected colour.

Not quite the same as a hover-over picker that will display the RGB values on screen, but that's what there is.
mussol
Registered Member

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 pm
yeah, not quite the same. it really slows my workflow a lot.

should I file a BUG (feature request) for that?

if each plugin have to include a picker to achieve this maybe a meta colour picker would be added, a global option just like vectorscope and such.
Inapickle
Registered Member

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:45 pm
Actually, under Add Effects > Analysis & Data, there is another tool - Video Values - which gives an on screen read out of the Average, RMS, Min and Max RGB values for a sample defined by the position of the cross-hair (controlled by the X and Y co-ordinates) and the area around it (x and y size). But again it's rather tedious to use and even with 'Big Window' selected and the Project Monitor at full stretch it's difficult to read the values, short of switching to Full Screen view which of course obscures the 'effect' controls.

So yes, a global, cursor-controlled colour-sampling tool that gives on-screen values would be more practical. I'd suggest filing a feature request if you'd find that useful.

Seeing your link to that DaVinci Resolve tutorial, what makes the 'color picker' ('Qualifier' tool) in Resolve so useful is that in addition to displaying the 'hover over' RGB values on screen, it actually maps the selected sample values to points on the various qualifier panels, including the RGB curves. Now that would be a very nice feature to have with the RGB and Bezier curve effects in KDenLive, especially as the curves are scaled with arbitrary units, not actual RGB values, and likewise the HSL curves in the Bezier set.
mussol
Registered Member

Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:05 pm
Inapickle wrote:in addition to displaying the 'hover over' RGB values on screen, it actually maps the selected sample values to points on the various qualifier panels, including the RGB curves. Now that would be a very nice feature to have with the RGB and Bezier curve effects in KDenLive, especially as the curves are scaled with arbitrary units, not actual RGB values, and likewise the HSL curves in the Bezier set.

you sumarized pretty much my idea.

I'll file a bug and I'll link this thread for reference, thanks for your info guys.
Inapickle
Registered Member

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:28 pm
Great minds think alike ;)
Merlimau
Registered Member

Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:58 pm
add the link to Bug #376719