This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

4K Video Preview stuttering

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mazzomaz
Registered Member

4K Video Preview stuttering

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:43 am
Hey guys,

I'm using Kdenlive (Version 16.11.90) on openSUSE Tumbleweed.

I'd like to cut some 4K Video Clips. I've chosen the "4K UHD 2160 30 fps" Video-Profile in Kdenlive.

If I try to import and play some 4K Video Clips in the Preview Window(MP4 Format) Kdenlive plays these clips but they are always stuttering as hell. If I choose a Video-Profile like 1080p oder 720p everything works fine.

I'm using an IBM Thinkpad Notebook with 16 GBs of RAM and a Intel Core i7 Quadcore CPU. Playing those clips in VLC or Dragon Player is no problem. Everything's smooth there.

Thanks for your support.

Regards,
mazzo
kalimerox
Registered Member

Re: 4K Video Preview stuttering

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:45 am
realtime playback of 4k could still be too much to handle for your laptop in terms of cpu load etc.. did you check your system monitor, what does it say? on my machine it is usually the case that vlc player can still handle playback while NLE like kdenlive or others starts to stutter already...
mazzomaz
Registered Member

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:35 am
Hey Kalimerox,

thank you for your reply.

Here's a screenshot of KSystemMonitor while playing an 4K-Video-Clip in Kdenlive Video-Preview:

It seems 1 CPU-Core is always working at 100%. The CPU should be really strong enough to edit 4K Video. It is an Intel Core i7 6820HQ Quad-Core (no ULV) with 2.7 GHz.

Same stuttering appears when I use OpenShot instead of Kdenlive.

Using OpenShot or Adobe Premiere Pro on Windows 10 works fine.

Regards,
mazzo
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:27 am
For the moment proxy files will be your friend.
bobjones
Registered Member

Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:40 am
If I can ask, capslock, I see you making a lot of recommendations for proxy files as a solution to problems with monitor performance. Do you know what happened to the option of just dropping frames? Did the developers just remove it altogether? It seems to be completely removed from the software, and that was a perfectly serviceable low-impact solution that worked fine for years.
capslock
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:57 am
Your question is welcome. :-) But I am sorry - I have no idea what happened to frame dropping. Proxy files are the only answer to stuttering playback issues I know, that is why I promote them often. :)