This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Distros supporting KF5 ?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alinoe
Registered Member

Distros supporting KF5 ?

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:31 pm
Hello there,

I would need a little info

i read on the kdenlive installation page
Development of Kdenlive has now switched to a new version of the KDE Frameworks called KF5 (KDE Frameworks 5). To install versions of Kdenlive using this underlying technology, you need to be on a Linux distribution which supports KF5.

that's fine with me but
is there any way to get a list of the distros supporting KF5 ?
I've been using the debian edition of mint lately
which is apparently not compatible with KF5

I don't mind changing
but I'm not very keen on ubuntu and its friends
any other ideas ??
farid
Registered Member
OS

Re: Distros supporting KF5 ?

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:43 pm
here is a list of distros you can use: https://kdenlive.org/download/

we provide appimage and snaps as well but beware that they are both in a beta state, so i wouldn't use them for production...

since you are kind of familiar with debian, you can try debian-testing, but i would recommend antergos (which is what i use) or maybe since you are willing to switch maybe solus.

happy distro hopping ;)

alinoe
Registered Member

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 pm
thanks for super reactive answer
this was all I needed

I'm gonna think about which one to use
vpinon
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:12 am
Hello,
Distrowatch lets you search for package version accross distros.
Let's say you want at least the LTS version of Plasma desktop ( 5.8 ) :
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pkg=p ... #pkgsearch
If your top priority is to get KF5 updates as soon as possible, then you should go for Neon (based on Ubuntu) or Argon / Krypton (based on OpenSuse Leap / Tumbleweed), or maybe Chakra (based on Arch): those are maintained by KDE enthusiasts and automatically built on every update

Last edited by vpinon on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
alinoe
Registered Member

Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 am
Good,
I'll consider this too

thanks
ivanthekdefan
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:17 pm
Ubuntu 16.04 or newer, KDE neon, any Arch-based distro, or development releases of Debian should fit your needs

Hi, I'm Ivan, a competent computer user (which means geek to most). I run KDE neon Developer when it works and KDE neon User when Developer doesn't work.
Hope I helped you with any problems you may have had :)
jhsu
Registered Member

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:23 am
You don't need KDE. However, you do need a 64-bit OS. Trying to do anything in Kdenlive in a 32-bit OS causes Kdenlive to crash.

I know this, because I tried Kdenlive in Sparky Linux with LXDE. Kdenlive works in the 64-bit version but not in the 32-bit version.

The Kdenlive developers should either provide 32-bit support or announce that it has been dropped.
jhsu
Registered Member

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:27 am
If your main distro doesn't support KDE (64-bit and on the approved list or a derivative of something on the approved list), then you can install something else in VirtualBox or as a dual boot setup. Sparky Linux with LXDE is lighter and faster than the other options, is based on Debian, and can be installed in far less time than it would take to install Debian itself.