This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to insert a Composit Transition on two different tracks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Jakan
Registered Member
I am using "green screen" in my video. My video files are in segments, many files that were meant to be sequential. So, I have staggered the video files on track 1 and then the next one on track 2, etc with a small overlap for a dissolve. I inserted a Composit Transition on the first segment, with the background picture on the third track. This worked. Now I have come to the next segment of my video, which is on track 2 (the background picture is still on track 3) but I can not seem to either extend the Composit Transition from the first video segment or start a new Composit Transition at the beginning of the second video segment. What can I do? It seems like this should be possible. Any one know how to do this? My operating system is Ubuntu 16.04 and I am using Kdenlive 16.12.2. Thanks.
capslock
Registered Member
OS
Set the "With track" option in the composite transition to track 3.
Jakan
Registered Member
Thank you Capslock for your reply. I tried this and, eventually it worked. However, I had selected track 3 as the paired track before. I think what made it work was that I found a way to make the transition longer. I did not get an arrow on the transition when I put my cursor on it. So, I could not extend it further in time. However I double clicked on the transition and a pop-up window appeared giving the start time and duration. So, I increased the duration of the transition some and then the transition symbol, an orange band, became larger and then I got an arrow when I put my mouse arrow on the edge of the transition. However, I have another related problem now.

I tried to insert a Composit Transition for all of my clips. I tried to insert the Composit Transition on the third clip which is on track 1 again. (The background is still on track 3) It did not work. I saw some text in the lower left corner of the Kdenlive window which said, "Cannot insert transition" or something like that. There was a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside. I guess it was not permitted. So, how do I solve this problem? Is it not permitted to have two Composit Transitions on the same track at different times on the timeline? I don't know what the reason is for this problem. If you know the answer, please tell me. Thanks.
Jakan
Registered Member
I found the answer to my own question by experimenting. It appears that I can not have a dissolve transition and a composit transition at the same time on the timeline. If I move the third clip, with all of the subsequent clips out in time so that the third clip is not overlapping the second clip (and it's dissolve transition) then I can add a composit transition to the third clip (on track 1). So, this is what I did. After adding the composit transition to the third clip I moved it and all subsequent clips forward to where it was before, with a slight overlap with the previous clip and the dissolve transition. The composit transition did not like to overlap the dissolve transition. So, I will see how it looks when I play it back. I consider this issue solved.