This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

General Setup questions for i7 6820HK GTX1070 gpu Windows 10

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jmp22684
Registered Member
Hello, did some brief looking... and perhaps I am over thinking it.

Anyways as I am working on the videos I just notice things start to run slow on the preview with only having one transition. Render is okay for speed. Faster than my old computer, but I expected a tad more speed from this machine. I am not sure if this is just the way of things, if kdenlive isn't really optimized for windows... could it even be that a paid software would run more efficiently. Though I assume the hobbyist deploying opensource software has more of their personal interest vested. I always thought of the open source as something that someone was passionate about vs just trying to get a paycheck and doing bare minimum to prevent *overly* **** customers.

So! The Machine:
Alienware 17 r4
GTX 1070
i7 6820HK
Sata SSD
NVMe SSD
Windows 10 Build 14393.693

cpu frequency 4.2 GHz (I repasted this computer w/ grizzly conductonaut ... extremely cool operation of w/ 1-2 temp differential across cores).

Kdenlive Version 16.12.1

Settings in question:
-Concurrent Threads
-Processing Threads
-Use GPU Processing Unavailable and grayed out- is this something I want to use. 6820hk vs gtx1070 - which would handle the job better?

Any other suggestions anyone may have.

I have quite literally only had a day and a half w/ the software and only made a few relatively simple videos....

Playing around w/ transitions and trying to take **** cell phone video and turn it into something half way .... not horrible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B16cNGSBwk&t=2s

I'm the guy that butchers the bend during the Run Around solo :'( :<
jmp22684
Registered Member
Bump....

Sorry to do this but my gosh.... I put to video clips together and the preview is sooooooo slow and choppy. I have to pre-render EVERY time I want to preview a transition.

This isn't a computer that lacks horse power.

Searched a ton!! .... I wasted most of my day yesterday just reading forums and trying to find ANYTHING related to optimizing kdenlive for use on a windows machine.

Anyone?
farid
Registered Member
OS
jmp22684 wrote:Bump....

Sorry to do this but my gosh.... I put to video clips together and the preview is sooooooo slow and choppy. I have to pre-render EVERY time I want to preview a transition.

This isn't a computer that lacks horse power.

Searched a ton!! .... I wasted most of my day yesterday just reading forums and trying to find ANYTHING related to optimizing kdenlive for use on a windows machine.

Anyone?

Hello, I am a linux user so don't know how to help you solve your issues... maybe you can try to things though since kdenlive is still in an alpha state for windows. First you can change the timeline compositing mode from "high quality" to "preview" so things will go smoother. Also you didn't mention anything about your footage, is it 4K? My machine, an weaker i7, can handle 1080p well but I prefer working wth proxies, have you tried to enable proxies?

The GPU effects are experimental (even on linux) so don't bet on them.

Currently all efforts by the devs are focused on the timeline refactoring to bring advanced editing tools. Hopefully we find a windows maintainer to speed up the windows port...

jmp22684
Registered Member
Hello!

Thank you for the reply.

This project is in 1080p.

I set the preview mode some time ago.

I'll try experimenting with proxy clips. Everything I read about this points towards using on a lower powered machine.

I will give the proxy clips a go. I am still goofing around with different settings. Affinity, priority settings as well.